Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A free E-mail provider apart from the popular ones?

• Please log in to reply

Stryker06

Stryker06

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
For various reasons, I've given Gmail and Hotmail the boot. I liked them only because of their large amount storage that they offered. Yahoo is a free alternative. I was wondering if there are any others out there.

Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Gmail is the best ive used you can google to look around see what alternatives but the popular ones are popular for a reason. I usually dont access my emails via a browser anyway its just a step to my thunderbird inbox and from that aspect they are all pretty much the same to me there is maybe a dozen but apart from the big ones they always seem to have a gimmick.

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thunderbird Away!!!

I have also used outlook and before that hotmail. Thunderbird is by far my favroute (excuse the spelling I am a dislexic trying to hide behind a wall of spelling mistakes :whistling: )

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Firefox has a spellchecker if you have spelling problems.

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
really how would you activate it as im using firefox 1.5.0.9

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
Firefox 2 is the first version available with spell-checker. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You should upgrade to 2 as quick as possible you should always keep software especially your browser up to date and have the latest version available.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
For a Spell Checker in FireFox 1.5 you can get an extension http://spellbound.so...forge.net/index but have said that, you should update. Why miss out on the other features they have added?

I have heard of Lycos Mail for a free e-mail service. You can see a list at http://email.about.c.../free_email.htm

But I always used Thunderbird so it does not make a big difference what I use. The WebMail extension allows downloads from most web mail services that don't support it having there e-mails downloaded.

Edited by Michael, 07 January 2007 - 07:44 PM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Here is a freeware spell checker for Outlook Express. It has been around quite awhile. Right click on the underlined misspelled word and it gives you a list to choose from, or add to the list.

Spell Checker for OE 2.1

Stryker06

Stryker06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for the help guys. I went over to Yahoo. But let me know if there are any others.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I don't know why I did not think of this sooner. Go to Microsoft Live and register your own domain FREE and have up to 25 email accounts with your own personal domain. You will also have 2 gb per email address and 500mb of space to link to if you need to say post picture for a topic or just for fun.

Did I mention it is free? I created one just to lock down my nick. http://acklan.com As far as I can tell there is no catch.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Where do you go to get the FREE domain name? I could not find it.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Sorry about that. Office Live Basics for FREE

Edited by acklan, 09 January 2007 - 02:10 AM.

Stryker06

Stryker06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Excellent idea. Will check it out!