Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Attached File  RegSearch_1_19.txt   1.49KB   94 downloads :whistling: Regsearch file. Thanks, Barb

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, barb266 :whistling:

Download the enclosed file:
Save and extract its contents to the desktop. It is a folder containing a Registry Entries file, Regfix.reg . Once extracted, open the folder and double click on the Regfix.reg file and select Yes when prompted to merge it into the registry.

Reboot into safe mode.

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Using Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and go to "Explore"), please delete these folders (if present):

C:\Program Files\PC MightyMax
C:\Documents and Settings\Barbara\Start Menu\Programs\PC MightyMax

Let me know the outcome and how is the computer doing?

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
In process :whistling:

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Here are the results:

C:\Program Files\PC MightyMax - Did not show up

C:\Documents and Settings\Barbara\Start Menu\Programs\PC MightyMax - I got the following msg: Error Deleting File or Folder: Cannot delete PC MightyMax: The directory is not empty.

Would I be saving you (bless your heart) and me a lot of time and trouble to do the dreaded f word - format c? My computer is better, I have somewhat more control of desktop (things stay where I put them), but the start up is slow - maybe that is to be expected. I truly do not know.
Also ref to Node32 - is there a firewall in that program? My boss said I really did not need one because of Sprint DSL. Thanks again for all your patience. Barb

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Folders to delete:
C:\Documents and Settings\Barbara\Start Menu\Programs\PC MightyMax

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

Now, start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon on your desktop.
  • Under "Script file to execute" choose "Input Script Manually".
  • Now click on the Magnifying Glass icon which will open a new window titled "View/edit script"
  • Paste the text copied to clipboard into this window by pressing (Ctrl+V).
  • Click Done
  • Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.
The Avenger will automatically do the following:
  • It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
  • On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
  • After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
  • The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.
Please copy/paste the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply along with a fresh HJT log

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Attached File  winzip_1_20.zip   4.45KB   73 downloads :whistling: I am so happy..I was afraid the notepad would be blank again :blink: Posted below are my results. THANKS!

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

The log looks clear. How is the computer doing?

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi! It is doing better. I think I solved my myspace im problem, just made it require parental rights, so although I can not delete it or uninstall it, it does not pop up in start up and slow it down(I think).:whistling: While I was waiting on your reply I had to run some errands so I left the computer in standby mode to see if it would freeze up. Yep it did. But my problems are fewer than they were Jan. 8th, so I can at least put off for now buying a new one. I do so much appreciate your advice and if I see this computer is going to make it, I will purchase Node32. For right now I went w/free trial. I also received a cd in the mail today from where I boo booed and purchased StopZilla. Now I am confused...do I need to do any further w/it or uninstall it or just leave it as it is? Anyway, you have been very helpful, and I am sure you will see more threads from me..Thanks, Barb:)

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Would you like to remove MySpace IM from the computer?

In regard to the Standby issue, maybe in the Windows XP forum someone may help you.

As far as malware, everything looks clear.

Let me know!

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes, I would like to remove MySpace IM in my quest to take off everything that may affect my computer's performance. My son will just have to pick up the phone and call. Also, I downloaded Internet Downloader from one of the sites during your help, and it has helped me immensely (I think), but I would like to have the option to launch it when I want it, and it not start automatically whenever something pops up (like the MySpace IM pops up w/a newer version). I have looked in Properties and cannot figure out how to modify it. But I can live with it as is. I tried to uninstall MySpace IM from the Add/Remove programs and it does not show there now, but it still shows in Program Files and still came up on startup. By my research this past month, I am trying to minimize any background programs running at startup.:whistling: Still learning! Thanks again. Barb

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

You had downloaded Regsearch earlier.

1. Launch Notepad, and copy/paste the contents of the quote box below into a new Notepad file. Save it with file name options.txt and save as file type: all files to your desktop.

RegSearch Options File

[Search]
MySpace

[Exclude]

[Options]
Filter=KVDLUI

• Doubleclick on regsearch.exe
  • Click "Import" in the lower left corner and browse to the options.txt file that you just saved on your desktop. Do not choose the one in the RegSearch folder itself.
  • Click OK and Registry Search will scan your registry for the file(s), and a Notepad box will open with a report.
  • Please reply here with the entire contents of the Notepad file from RegSearch and a fresh Hijackthis log..

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: Still got MySpace IM. Posted Logs. Also did post new thread In Windows 2000 forum :blink: . Thanks, Barb

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

First perform a Full Backup of the Registry: Use ERUNT if available.
  • Go to Start->Run, Type Regedit.exe and click Ok.
  • The Registry Editor will be displayed.
  • Click on My Computer in the Editor to highlight it.
  • Select Registry from the Menu, then Export
  • Name the export Backup
  • Save it on C:\
You now have a backup of your registry on C:\ (C:\Backup.reg).
1. Download the enclosed folder:
Save and extract its contents to the desktop. It is a folder containing a Registry Entries file, MySpaceRem.reg . Once extracted, open the folder and double click on the MySpaceRem.reg file and select Yes when prompted to merge it into the registry.

Restart the computer

2. Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Folders to delete:
C:\Program Files\MySpace

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon on your desktop.
  • Under "Script file to execute" choose "Input Script Manually".
  • Now click on the Magnifying Glass icon which will open a new window titled "View/edit script"
  • Paste the text copied to clipboard into this window by pressing (Ctrl+V).
  • Click Done
  • Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.
4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:
  • It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
  • On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
  • After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
  • The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.
5. Please copy/paste the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply along with a fresh HJT log by using Add/Reply

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: Here goes. Thanks, Barb

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Attempt to manually delete the MySpace folder from the following location:

C:\Program Files\MySpace

If not able to delete, run the Avenger again.

Keep me posted.