Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I install a Wireless Card on my Laptop running Ubuntu 6.10?

• Please log in to reply

PowerCycle

PowerCycle

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
http://www.belkin.co...d...91&scid=221

It requires a driver and the site only has drivers for XP.
Is there a way I can get my Wireless Card to work on Ubuntu? Or am I stuffed? :whistling:
This is my first time running a Linux OS.

I'm guessing most people don't have problems with this because their Laptops usually have wireless in-built and Desktop computers use LAN cables which are in-build too. :blink:

Edited by PowerCycle, 10 January 2007 - 05:30 AM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The normal thing to do in this case is buy a card you know will work with Linux or use ndiswrapper. ndiswrapper is a wrapper for the windows driver so that it will work under Linux. There is also a graphical user interface for it called ndisgtk. You can find both in the ubuntu web site.

I have never got it working right, I think it was because I was using kubuntu. There are supposed to be computability issues between ndiswrapper and KDE.

Another option I am looking into is a network bridge, basically a unit that receives the signal and you then plug a network cable into it. This is just like plugging it straight into a modem or router.

Edited by Michael, 10 January 2007 - 09:44 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You can take a look HERE.

PowerCycle

PowerCycle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Michael and silverbeard. It worked except I think my actual card is broken. The lights won't even go on when it is in the laptop or when the device is enabled under networking. These lights went on when my system booted before the OS loads on XP. The faint power light is on so it is getting power.

At the moment, the wireless connection isn't working on Ubuntu - How can I check if it's a driver problem or a hardware one?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I'm not sure if Ubuntu loads the Ralink chipset drivers but at least the drivers are available for Linux. the card I have in my Acer runs better in PCLinuxOS than in Windows.