Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nero could not perform start of disc-at-once

• Please log in to reply

ekikos

ekikos

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hi,
i'm using windows xp pro sp2. the version of nero i use is nero v6 ultra edition.when i am trying to burn a data dvd it looks like it is working and starts to burn but then after a sec. it comes up with an error "could not perform start of disc-at-once". i tried disable overburn but it didn't work. please help....

thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Several things you may not already have tried (but my apologies if you have):

1. Use high quality top-brand media (eg Sony, TDK) not bulk-buy "cheapies".

2. Check your drive-manufacturer's website for a firmware update.

3. Use "TAO" mode (track at once) instead of DAO if possible. DAO is really only necessary when you want to make a copy of an audio CD without the silent gap between each track. For data that's not an issue.

4. I'm not aware of any issues with nero 6 and SP2 (I say that because SP2 did indeed 'break' a number of third-party applications for which patches had to be released) but it wouldn't hurt to ensure you have the latest update of nero 6. The last (and final) update prior to the arrival nero 7 was v6.6.1.4 for the core "nero burning rom" component , here:
http://www.nero.com/...enu/nero-up.php

5. Alternative is to UPGRADE to nero 7 if you find the trial version eliminates the probem you're currently having. nero 7 trial here:
http://www.nero.com/...enu/nero-up.php

It's a large download (150Mb - approx 20 mins. over a 1Gbit b/band connection).

Finally, disabling overburn won't make any difference unless you actually make use of that feature -- it simply alters the data measurement scale on the interface, and tells nero when to trigger the "not enough space left on disc" warning when you create a compilation of files. But as an aside I would always advise against overburning in any event. Overburning is not within industry standards, and my data is too precious to cram more on a disc than it was designed for, whatever the burning "geeks" may say.

Edited by pip22, 16 January 2007 - 02:37 PM.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hi,
i have the latest verion of nero. i haven't downloaded nero 7. there is no wat that i can find to change from dao to tao. can you recommand another burnning software that will not have tha same problem? btw i have tried to burn using alcohol 120 as well and got the same error.

chayane

chayane

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What kind of disk are you using? I was using DVD-R and I changed to using DVD+R and then the problem was gone.