Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPN Crazy Problem

• Please log in to reply

wbvi

wbvi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I currently connect a Win XP Pro PC via an ethernet LAN to the Internet. Up until this Monday I used a VPN connection to connect to a server in a remote location. Suddenly on Monday when I connect the VPN I can no longer access the LAN connection for the internet or email??? There is no problem at the router as when I have the VPN off I have very fast connectivity and it shuts off instantly when I connect to the VPN??? Any ideas as to the solution to this strange problem??? Thank you in advance for your help!

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
this may help, quoted from http://www.howtonetworking.com

Can't access the Internet while using VPN

Symptom: after establishing a VPN connection, you may not be able to access the Internet because the VPN takes over your existing connection and all traffic to use the VPN default gateway on the remote network. The remote network may not allow VPN clients to access the Internet via their gateway.

Resolutions:
1) If you don't need to access the entire VPN resources, disable the "use default gateway on remote network" option in the properties of the VPN connection.
2) Edit route table manually if you know how to or check routing page on this web site.
3) For the security reason, some firewall/routers like Cisco PIX do not allow access the Internet after establishing the VPN and you cannot modify the routing table. You may setup split-tunnel.

wbvi

wbvi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Chicago Tech. Option 1 Worked Immediately!!! :tazz: