Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp crash!

• Please log in to reply

Robleh

Robleh

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok, now this may all seem a little superficiel and under-explained but this is what happened to me. I have windows xp home edition installed on my laptop (Acer Travelmate 2420) and i was typing a text using Corel wordperfect 2003, when all of sudden my computer just shut itsel down completely. At first i thought something burnt on the inside but then, i just turned it back on and this is when it gets complicated because i only caught glimpses of what happened next. Instead of booting normally, at the blue "welcome" screen, there was a bunch of messages and a loading percentage number. This is a few of the messages i was able to catch: disk fat32, IE display item[1], temporary internet files.... And then after the percentage loading was compete my computer loaded as usually, of course i lost the text I was writing, but everything else seemed fined, i didn't get any error messages and all my previous files seemed ok. Now I realise this may be hard for you guys to analyse but does anybody have a clue what might have happened? I would really hate it if it happened again... And i would just like to point out that I tend to stay away from all malicious web sites to keep my computer as effecient as possible and i have norton 2006 installed. Please any help will be greatly appreciated, I trust GeeksToGo more than Microsoft!!! thx

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Go look in your event viewer and see if you have anything there. You can do a properties on a event and then look at what may have caused it.

SRX660