Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fromat:/C

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Oh, I am :whistling:

Advertisements

Allocation

Allocation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
lol:) I think I messed my pc up. I followed the guide untill I got to the delete a partition part, it would NOT delete C so I said to myself "hmm I could delete D and install a new XP OS on D then go back and format C when I'm on D then go back to C and format D and be done" But, as we know now Nope! doesn't work like that..I don't have my motherboard manual to go into my bios and format C like what the guide says...so I'm stuck, confused, but atleast I still have my sanity.:whistling: And alot of patience, so if I could get some more help I'd appreciate it.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Wait why couldn't you not delete the partitions, create them and formatt them?

Allocation

Allocation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It said that I was running on C and that I couldn't format it.

*EDIT* I'm on D right now, on the new OS my D drive has 4 Gigs total, 2.87 Gigs free.

C still has all my programs etc, because it wouldn't let me format it on D just now, it said "format was unable to complete", and I came back here for more help.:whistling:

Edited by Allocation, 11 February 2007 - 05:18 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I have a idea. We may need to run a chkdsk for the disk!

[*]Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
[*]When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
[*]When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
[*]At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

[*]Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
[*]Report any errors
[/list]

Allocation

Allocation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, before I do that I have a question. When you say "Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console." you mean if I have two selectable drives to start windows on, right? Like starting from D or C and sence I want to format C I'm going to boot my pc up on the C drive correct? (I know it's pretty much common sense but I want to make sure)

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yes that means you choose C:\

Allocation

Allocation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, I'll go do that, I'll be back in a hour or so then.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
O.K. I'll be here :whistling:

Allocation

Allocation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ah, I'm on another PC in my house, didn't want to put the ethernet cord back in etc. Ok, I juts restarted my pc and, it didn't automatically red the CD from the CD-ROM, it just restarted my PC that's all. So what should I do?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Did the chkdsk run successfully?

Allocation

Allocation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I didn't run it yet, I thought you said to reboot my PC on "C" and when it goes to a Setup screen to press "R", it didn't go to a setup screen, so I didn't know what you meant. I thought you meant it would automatically read the XP CD in my CD-ROM, and that I'd see a screen for it to setup then I'd press "R" to run the chkdsk.

Oh I should probably put on here that you're helping me alot, and I think you're doing a good job.:whistling:

Edited by Allocation, 11 February 2007 - 05:44 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Put the CD in, restart the computer. Does it read the cd or does it go right to windows?

Allocation

Allocation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It just restarts to windows, it doesn't automatically read the disk.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Did you make sure the CD-R is set to boot first in the BIOS?