Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Few Things In Vista.

• Please log in to reply

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
1) How can I remove the "SEARCH" in Windows Explorer.
2) In Windows Explorer the UP button like in XP, Vista only has BACK and FORWARD.
3) Which Firewall works with Vista?
4) Which Media Player except WMP work with Vista? (I use MPC but after 20mins the monitor turns off)
5) How to DISABLE "USER" folder from been shared permanently.

Advertisements

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
4) Have you checked your power settings? By default, your monitor will turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity of movement by the keyboard/mouse.

You can check these settings by going to:

Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound (Vista Category view) -> Power Options.

As I said before, by default, Windows Vista comes with the Balanced Option checked. If you click on 'Change Plan Settings', you'll see that it is set to turn off after 20 minutes. You can either change your plan settings or choose another power plan.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
1) You cant as far as i know its a built in feature
2)It doesnt have one now to go up to any folder above the one your in just click on the name of it in the adress bar as they are buttons now.
3) It does have its own but whatever one you use on XP just check the website and they can tell you if it will work.
4)they all work the screen blank thing is just power saving it would do it after 20 minutes without MPC just change it in power settings although its easier i find to live with it as its actually good at saving power.
5) only the Public user folder should be shared.

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks warriorscot you have been a lot help. I meant any FREE Firewall (Forgot to add Free) since I use AVG it has no Vista support on the Firewall. I was watching something in MPC and the monitor turned itself off after 20mins like the PC was doing nothing, I guess it is a MPC thing. For the USER Folder I will check it on the other PC later, I want to make sure it's only Public, I just saw USER and got worried never checked it.

EDIT: Also in RUN is there a way it can remember the last place I opened up? Since it is the way I go to D:\

Edited by Dark One 123, 11 February 2007 - 06:56 PM.