Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not for me

• Please log in to reply

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
When I read about Vista I wanted to get the premium edition. Thought it would be great to have Aero. So I started reading more. I bought my computer from Dell about 6 months ago. I received a letter from Dell yesterday regarding upgrading to Vista. I thought I had done a good job of purchasing 3GHz; 1GB ram, 250GB hard drive; dual 16x dvd players; NVidia GeForce 7900 GS. In my letter it suggested I go to this site (one of Dells) and find out if my computer is ready for Vista. So I did. Well, the report says my computer has enough memory to provide both a basic and a premium Aero experience. Isn't that wonderful? So I did do a good job of choosing my computer parts? In a way I guess.

So reading further down the report I find SOFTWARE COMPONENTS. Device Drivers: NVidia GeForce 7900 GS, Intel® 82801G (ICH7Family)Ultra ATA Storage controllers-27DF, Creative X-FI Audio Processor (WDM); Conexant D850 56K V9xDFVc Modem - A windows Vista driver is available for this device. Dell recommends you download the laterst driver from ........................... Separate charges may apply.

Next is Application Loaded: NetWaiting-this software may not run under Vista. Dell recommends yada yada separate charges yada yada; DellCinePlayer - this dvd playback software willnot work in Vista and must be deleted before upgrading.Depending on the version of Vista you may need to purchase an upgrade to your dvd playback software; Dell Support and Modem Helper, Sonic Encoders, Roxio RecordNow Audio and Digital Line Detect - may not run under Vista

I spendt a day looking and reading. I remember one time downloading an update driver from Dell and my computer was not a happy camper. There's all this stuff about they didn't do a complete testing of the drivers yet they want us to download this stuff? Hmmm.

So after much thought I think I will just stick with MCE 2005 and wait until all the buggies are out (by that time though there will no doubt be a bigger and better OS from MS. I'm usually behind in technology any way-just got my first cell phone 6 months ago LOL.) Now all I have to do is figure out this dvd copy stuff LOL

Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I am basically doing the same thing. I am just going to wait until the bugs are worked out. I will move to it. I do like the new windows. The new office is just great, they've done a great job with it.

RacrBilly

RacrBilly

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I know this kind of thing was going to happen. The same things happened with XP software had a hard time working. In order for the OS to be complete you have to get a years worth of updates after you have already suffered but the crappy programing. So my next computer is going to be a MAC. If I really want to run windows I will just put it on my MAC. It can handle it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well your dell will handle it just fine all the hardware will work and Dell software sorry to say sucks roxio works with the latest version on vista most stuff does work fine anything that you are getting from dell you can either get better for free elsewhere or isnt worth keeping. As long as the hardware works there isnt much else to be concerned about.