Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error code 0x80090019

• Please log in to reply

honeyrosecool

honeyrosecool

• Pip
  • 7 posts
can anyone help? I get a message saying...Aproblem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for the computer..Error code 0x80090019 and there is no way I can open it up ..is there anything I can do from the very first opening screen? I am on a different pc at fresent! :whistling:

Edited by honeyrosecool, 17 February 2007 - 02:55 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is on a Dell computer right?

Look at this article.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310794

This issue can be caused by any software that changes the default security provider.

To reset the default security provider in Windows XP, delete the relevant registry keys in the Windows registry. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Start the computer. Press the F8 key during startup to start the computer in Safe mode.
2. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
3. Delete the following registry keys in the Windows registry:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
4. Quit Registry Editor.
5. Restart the computer.

Drive letter has been reassigned

Reset the drive letter of the system drive
Use Registry Editor to change the drive letter of the system drive back to its original value. Edit the following registry key to change the value of the system drive:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
For additional information and steps detailing the exact procedure to rename the system drive letter, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:KB223188

http://support.micro....com/kb/223188/

How To Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows

SRX660

honeyrosecool

honeyrosecool

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no its Packard Bell and it wont let me get into the registry

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you able to start the computer in safe mode?

To start the registry editor in safe mode you will need to type

Regedt32.exe

in the start/run box

SRX660

honeyrosecool

honeyrosecool

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The prolem is Im using an old pc at the mo to get the info but for me to put it into practise I will have to disconnect this and then reconnect mine...I seem to recall that I coulld go into safe mode but the same thing happened..the error message I dont think I can actually get into the start run thingy....or does that sound wrong to u //should the safe mode bypass all that and let me get in??

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do see your delimma. Been there, done that.

If you cannot even get to the start menu in safe mode( which stops all extra drivers from loading)Then you will have to do a reinstall of the operating system. If the only thing possible is to get to the desktop there is really nothing more you can do.

The problem i think you will have is you probably did not recieve a restore CD with the computer. So that leaves you with trying to do a restore in safe mode. Again if you cannot get to the start menu then you are stuck. If you have a restore CD then use it but be aware you will lose all data on your computer. If you have no restore CD and can't get to the restore in windows your choices are to find a XP CD to restore with or take the computer to a shop to fix. A good shop will charge less than the price of a XP CD to restore the computer if they are any good at all.

SRX660

honeyrosecool

honeyrosecool

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I dnt recall having a restore cd with the pc , but I did have the restore point option which I used to do periodically if things used to go wrong... is that the same thing ? or completely different! anyway thanks alot for yur help I shall disconnect this in a bit or in the morning and see what I can do! hopefully the safe mode will work//Ill keep u posted!

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
what if he could boot correctly into safe mode and from there open the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Dlt, or right click task bar and select task manager) and from there execute regedit32.exe?

-OCM770-