Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows is corrupted

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I ran the test overnight, for about 8 hours and 20 minutes. The test showed it had completed without an error about 30 times. What do we try now? Also, have a look at this, http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry922975

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You did not install any new hardware or software recently have you?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, no software I can't recall installing any new software and for hardware yes and no. Yes because I did switch around my hardware as in to which USB port it is connected changed and then new drivers were installed for that but no because the peripherals were the same; external hard drive, memory card reader, printer, scanner and webcam.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Do you happen to have a XP CD on you?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yes I've got the Windows XP Home Edition cd with me however now on my computer I've got Windows XP Home Edition SP2. What do I to do?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
The last two times I restarted my computer I got this error message before I had to push the reset button to boot the computer up.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0348.jpg

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Have you tried to do a system restore to a time before these errors occurred?

If you can keep the computer stable long enough and you have a CD/DVD burner slipstream SP2 with your XP CD which will help if you need to do a repair install..

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I cannot remember when the errors started so not sure where I should go back into system restore. If I do a Windows XP Repair Installation will I lose my system settings, programs, start menu etc. ?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

I cannot remember when the errors started so not sure where I should go back into system restore. If I do a Windows XP Repair Installation will I lose my system settings, programs, start menu etc. ?

Some of your settings will be lost doing a repair install. You will need to reinstall some programs and download the updates again. Try a system restore back to when you can remember it being stable.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Nuts. What is wrong with the freezeups lately posting.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 09 March 2007 - 12:51 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Going back to the beginning of this thread, I doubt if your computer is clean of malware. If it is not, it's possible that you run a repair and have problems cropping up latter. Pip22's suggestion that you post first in the malware forum is correct.

About running a repair, if the xp cd you have is the one which was installed on the computer (meaning sp2 was downloaded later) you can use it to run a repair installation. During this process you will loose all windows updates, including sp2, and will have to download them again. If the original disk was xp+sp2 you will not be able to run the repair.

Generally speaking I am not too enthusiastic about xp repair because many times you end up with more problems then you started with. I use it only as a last resort.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yes I actually was just about to post asking whether I should post in the malware forum and check that first cause I think all the problems are being caused due to the virus I had several weeks back. However, before posting I have to do certain things, one of which being to clear out all past system restore points, this means I will not be able to do a system restore. Do you'll think I should go ahead with it or try the system restore first? Also, if I do a system restore what 'exactly' would change in my computer?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Don't even mess with system restore until instructed to after receiving help with a HijackThis log. Go post the log.

Read this;

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log.

Then post a HJT log here;

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There should be no harm in running system restore first. My experience, however, is that if you got malware in your computer it will not disappear by restoring to previous date. Restoring can be very helpful but quite often it is of limited results if any at all. Like I said, no harm trying.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I did start a post in the malware forum. Let's see what they say, incase you'll want to see here's thelink to it. Also, while going through the system restore points I saw that I had installed DirectX and Microsoft Office, I can't remember whether the problems started after that though.