Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problems!

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Unfortunately, I do not have the product key for the original 98SE that is on the computer now

This may help you recover your Product Key on the PC and then you should be able to use anyone's install CD:

Product Key Recovery

Let me know if this is of use. I think the program will also allow you to find key on a CD, too.

Ron

Advertisements

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thank you. I think between all the info I received I can get this going. One thing...Why did you post the names of all the techs? I am sorry if I have been a pain. I always express my gratitude. I have noticed in places that you need techs (for malware I think), I would be happy to train for that if you think I am qualified. I don't usually have problems with my own computer because I maintain it. And I direct my friends to maintain theirs. I am thinking about purchasing panda anti-virus software. Do you think that would be a good choice? I will get back to the thread, probably Saturday, and let you know if you can close it [resolved]. I will also save all the info you have given me, as always, so I can try it if I have problems (if it is not too complicated)

Many Thanks to You All.
Dee

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

One thing...Why did you post the names of all the techs? I am sorry if I have been a pain. Many Thanks to You All. Dee

Was this referring to me or someone else? You haven't been a pain to me and having you on GTG is what this forum is all about.

Ron

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Sorry, I was mistaken :help: The pinned topics in the main category was where I saw it. In fact, I had looked at it just the other day. I was irresponsible for not checking the pinned topics before consulting you. I probably wouldn't even had to bother you. But, you people are great. I now have to shower, try to get the ink of my hands...had to refill :blink: Thank you. I am going to work on this right now. I sure hope I can get this off my back. They already gave me gas money, and I kinda feel obligated, ya know? Anyway, I love to learn, so it you ever need help (training)...let me know, if, you know, I'm worthy.

:whistling: :help: (absolutely adore taz)

Thanks
dee

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ok...I reloaded windows. I managed to clean up the drive somewhat because most of the programs were installed and saved right to the desktop. I eliminated them, but of course I cannot get them out the the add/programs section because it says that the uninstall file is missing. I did get the ATF program to work, but it only works once. Then I have to reload it again. I did get it to defrag. The hard drive is still being recognized as a removable disk. I can't download to it. I have a hard time getting getting anything to work. I know most don't care for system works, but I think if I could get it downloaded to run, it would take care of those missing uninstall programs. Unless I would go into the registry, and I am afraid of that. I would also like to start running spyware/virus programs on it, but once again, I can't download anything, which even cancels out things like online scans because they install a program (Active X, I think) Finally, the most important request...can you please help me get the C: drive back to being recognized as a hard disk instead of a removable disk?

Thanks.

dee

Edited by olewoman, 26 March 2007 - 06:54 AM.

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
No reply. Had gotten very ill starting in Feb. I made it until March before hitting the couch/bed until things were straightened out. I am working very hard on my recovery and hope to get back to full speed soon. Thanks for all your help, patience, etc.

Respectfully,
olewoman