Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bit of trouble with cooling

• Please log in to reply

teleblock_4u

teleblock_4u

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Posted Image

What is the best way to fix this problem as im no computer whizz but im guessing its to hot :whistling:.

is there a way i can make the fan speed up in that part or do i need to clean it [ it hasnt been long since i had a good go at it with a hoover. surly but gently] its been fine just now i noticed the room getting very hot when pc is on and pc is sluggish sometimes when i am playing games and what not. sometimes it also likes to shut down becasue of "increasing heat that could damage computer"

any help will be appreciated thank you.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

OK, I have a few suggestions & a few questions for you :

Q's :
Firstly, the cpu temp is reported as 54C. Is this the temp your cpu normally runs at most the time? What sort of temps does it reach, e.g when playing games etc?

What cpu do you have? (e.g Pentium 4, Athlon etc)

Speedfan reports only one fan (cpu fan), or at least only one fan that is connected via the motherboard header. Do you actually have any case fans (excluding PSU fan) or not?

Suggestions :
Re. fan speed - your cpu fan is reported as running at 100% so no, you can't speed it up anymore unless you buy a different, faster fan.

If the answer to Q3 was no, then you may want to consider adding a couple of case fans. You'll need to open up the computer & have look to see where you can add case fans. Ideally one at the back & one the front. Fan mounting places will look like round or square grills cut into the case with four holes round the outside for screws. You'll also need to measure the grills to make sure you buy the correct size of fan. Measure the distance between two of the screw holes - this will normally be 8cm, but can be 6cm or 12 cm as well. If you are able to add a fan at the front & one at the rear of the case, then you need to orientate them so that one blows inwards & the other blows out.

Another factor in cooling is airflow. If you have lots of ribbon cabling in the case, try & tidy the cables up so that they don't restrict the air flow through the case. You can do this with by using special clips that stick to the case & clip cables out of the way. Don't bend or fold sata cables though - firstly they are easily damaged & secondly they don't restrict airflow much anyway because they're thin & rounded.

Also, consider where abouts the case is placed. e.g if you have the case under a desk & squashed into a corner with the rear of the case very close to a wall, then the airflow will be reduced. The case fans & vents need to have space around them to allow air in & out. Also make sure you don't position the case near a radiator or other heat source.

Another way of keeping the cpu temp down, is by reapplying a good quality thermal paste. Ask for further instruction on this though before attempting to do it.

teleblock_4u

teleblock_4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
much appreciated thanks alot