Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a pc!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Price cuts are as follows:
April 9th-AMD
April 22nd-Intel

Prices will be all over the board, ranging from Budget to enthusiast for the DX10 cards, but they have been delayed so much who knows if we'll actually see them in May or June. I'm waiting till they come out, but right now I have now confidence in ATI. Nvidia will have some coming out within the next 2 weeks.

http://www.tigerdire...a...&CatId=1588
It's really good, but comes with a price, don't know what your range is. Also I never had time to back track this topic, this fan will only work on socket 775 (Pentium D's and Core2duo's).

James

Advertisements

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
thank you James, it was helpful of you picking that fan out.

if i wanted to build a computer now, but don't want to spend over $200-$230 on a video card what would you recommend?

My eye is on the 7600 Fatal1ty Edition and the 7900GS .. what do you think, is there anything better?

thank you again

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This is the best card by far that I can find that's within that price range.
ATI x1900 Pro
or
7900GS
If your not familiar with NCIX, yes it's very reputable.
Which one of these cards is purly up to you, these cards switch blows depending on the task or game. Generally on higher setting or higher resolutions ATI's card is dominante but on lower settings/resolutions Nvidia's architecture rules.
If you want my opinion though, wait a month. I think your going to regret this purchase, you'll want a DX10 R600 mid range card as they'll out perform everything in that segment. If you can't wait I'd shoot for one of these cards, it's the best price/performance I can see from either vendors.
James

P.S. Fatal1ty versions are generally overpriced, from what I have seen anyways.

Edited by james_8970, 06 April 2007 - 12:09 AM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

This is the best card by far that I can find that's within that price range.
ATI x1900 Pro
or
7900GS
If your not familiar with NCIX, yes it's very reputable.
Which one of these cards is purly up to you, these cards switch blows depending on the task or game. Generally on higher setting or higher resolutions ATI's card is dominante but on lower settings/resolutions Nvidia's architecture rules.
If you want my opinion though, wait a month. I think your going to regret this purchase, you'll want a DX10 R600 mid range card as they'll out perform everything in that segment. If you can't wait I'd shoot for one of these cards, it's the best price/performance I can see from either vendors.
James

P.S. Fatal1ty versions are generally overpriced, from what I have seen anyways.

K cool, thank you once again James.

I think you might be right about waiting, but what will the Direct-X 10 cards cost? are there going to be any for ~$200 ??

If yes, then i'll wait for sure :whistling:

I'll be waiting for you reply

Thank you very much James

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
On ATI's side they'll range from 125-700$CND from what being said right now. Nvidia's budget end the 8600 will probable be from 100$-250$ Canadian, only think they are releasing 2, maybe 3 cards under the 8600.
James

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

On ATI's side they'll range from 125-700$CND from what being said right now. Nvidia's budget end the 8600 will probable be from 100$-250$ Canadian, only think they are releasing 2, maybe 3 cards under the 8600.
James

Ok, so if i wanted to buy a 8600 would it beat, let's say, the 7950gt or so? or the ATi x1950xtx?

when will i be able to buy that card then?

If it does beat 7950gt , the ATi x1950xtx, 7900gt etc.. i probably am going to buy one, but when?

btw, i'm planning to buy the processor (Core 2 Duo E6600) tomorrow, and keep it until i deside about the other parts. On behalf of that, .. i'm not sure, it's $299 CND and... it has decreased in price at least $100-$200 so i'm thinking it's a good deal... Do you think it might decrease even more in price, or is it not going to be significant?

Thank you for you GREAT help James,

I'll be looking forward to your reply

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't buy the processor till you plan on building, it might drop as much as 50$ on April 22nd. The reason why there are these price drops is because of the upcoming remodeled I guess you could call it Core2duo which will have a FSB of 1333 apposed to the current ones of 1066. They'll be named xx50, 3 are coming out and it won't be a significant launch.

Also at this point these cards are vaporware, none existant to the public. Everything is based on rumors and I can't tell you what these card will perform similarly to another, what I do know is that other graphics card will likely fall in price because of the older technology. When these DX10 cards come out DX10 will become mainstream, DX9 cards will drop in price and become closer and closer to ceasing to exist. But we'll still see DX9 cards for another year, maybe more. My point of view, if you buy a card over 150$ CND you have been suckered or else as others say it, you've been jiped.

I can't give you and exact date, but Nvidia has been saying middle to end of April, ATI has been saying end of May-June. Both companies have become very tight liped lately and delays are becoming too frequent. This is why I'm beginning to worry about AMD, it give me reminders of 3Dfx....but thats another story.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 April 2007 - 03:35 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you James,

So the new Core 2 Duo's aren't going to be MUCH better than the current 1066 fsb ones?

Is $50 the MAX e6600 will drop? because it's really cheap at $299 right now, i'm beginning to suspect it's going to rise in price again, and in the long run, maybe cost about $260 or so, which isn't a really significant loss of money.

Anyways, i'll think if i'll buy the e6600 tomorrow, but i'm quite sure i will.

About the GFX, i'll wait until the new cards come out, and then maybe but a really nice Direct-X 9c card, if the Direct-X 10's will be too expensive.

I have picked out pretty much every part of my build so, if you can, please check it out :blink:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600

Ram: K, i'll probably get that OCZ 800mhz ram, but, once again, is there going to be any difference in benchmarks/performance between a 4-4-4-15 OCZ timings and 4-4-4-12 Corsair timings??? If yes, then how significant will it be?

Motherboard: I think it's a good buy, it's quite cheap, and has what i need. and I have a few more questions about the Motherboard 1) DOES IT HAVE INTEGRATED AUDIO 2) WILL I HAVE TO SET THE 4-4-4-15 MEMORY TYMINGS IN BIOS OR WILL IT ALREADY BE SET? Because i know some motherboards have a default of 5-5-5-15 or something... so i'm just woundering

motherboard: http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=A455-2322

Case and PSU: Is there enough power/quality in the PSU? and is the case good?
here:==> http://www.tigerdire...a...&CatId=1079

and a hard drive: just comment what you think... but i know it's descent
hard drive: http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=TSD-320AS

JAMES, I'M VERY THANKFUL FOR THE HELP YOU'VE GIVEN ME, :whistling:

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE :help:

Pers

Edited by pers, 06 April 2007 - 05:20 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
np, glade I could help.

Yes there will be a difference, probably about a 5% gain, but till we see benchmarks (we should pretty soon) no one can really tell, AMD criticizes Intel very often over this and it does seem to be a bottleneck from what I have read, the FSB that is. But to what point it's really hard to measure or tell whether or not these accusations are true.

Don't worry about the timings on the memory, it won't be noticable, there is no way to justify the 70$ difference. Also all you have to do with memory is pop it in and your ready to go, you can change the latency timings afterwards, but this is risky if you don't know what your doing, its a form of overclocking.

Also the 300$ cooler is OEM an doesn't come with a cooler, keep that in mind you must buy one.

Crappy PSU, if it comes with the case there is a 90% change its no name crap. No name PSUs have a tendency of shutting down and taking components with it. Once I have more time, I'll double check that everything is compatible.

You do have an OS and DVD drive correct.

Also whats the point of buying anything if you have no intentions of putting it together, things come down in price, don't worry about the processor increasing in price. With the upcoming events it won't happen.

Can you double check the link on that motherboard and case/PSU (just want to double check that it a reliable brand) its not working so I can't tell you whether or not it has intergraded audio.

James

Edited by james_8970, 06 April 2007 - 05:55 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks James,

I'm not sure about the power supply, but it seems as if it is a really good quality one, it costs 120$ actually.. i'm not sure it's like X-Finity or something:

Here are the links:

Power supply/case: Power Supply/Case

motherboard: Motherboard

thanks again

Pers

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Very good motherboard, there is onboard audio and it'll work with intel's revision processors that are coming out in the coming weeks so it'll keep your options open.

For what your using that power supply for it'll be just fine.

James :whistling:

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi,

I was just woundering about something. With my Core 2 Duo e6600 should I buy a cpu fan or not? because there is a huuge 250mm side fan on the case... my dad assumes that it's anough, but i'm not sure if it is...

Thanks

Pers

p.s. check out my case in my previous post

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Regardless of the case you MUST have a fan/heatsink on the CPU.
James

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I BUILT IT!!!!!

it's really fast, and everything works great, but i have a few questions

First, i'm installing a Windows XP Pro. which my friend gave me... It doesn't have any SP, so i downloaded SP2 and installed it along with the motherboard drivers. When i was formatting the Hard Drive, it only saw 130 GB out of the 320.. And one of my friends told me that i might need a driver for the SATA hard drive, because the earlier version of Win XP pro might not have full support of it.. And in benchmarks, it sucks... it shows me bad results, which upsets me... everything is proportionally great, except for the hard drive.. anyways, if i DO need a driver, i could not find a place to download it from, so could someone give me a link for it? Please?

Otherwise, i have overclocked my CPU from 2.4Ghz to 3.15 GHz, and i'm not sure how to push it farther because i'm not familliar with changin voltage, could anyone please help me out?

It's twise faster than my athlon 64 x2 4200+, therefore i'm happy, but the disk mark upsets me..

I'll be waiting for anyone's advice very much!

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Is your friend using the same serial code as you?
James