Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 4500 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Milopar

Milopar

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello All,

I am in the process of planning some simple upgrades to my home computer. I have a Dell Dimension 4500 and want to add more RAM and a new hard drive. When I purchased the computer, it said I can have a max of 1G RAM. However, when I went to Crucial.com and had their website scan, it said I have the capacity to upgrade to 2G. This is actually the capacity the 4500S can go to. Who do I believe?

As for the hard drive, what is the easiest way I can determine the maximum capacity I can upgrade to? Can't seem to find that in the spec listing.

Thanks

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I am sorry I found your topic so late.
It appears your computer requires DDR RAM. It can accept up to 2-512MB modules. 400mhz or 533mhz (PC3200 or PC4200)

Dell Specifications

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hard Drives don't have a limit. As long as you have extra expansion connectors like SATA or IDE available.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

Hello All,

I am in the process of planning some simple upgrades to my home computer. I have a Dell Dimension 4500 and want to add more RAM and a new hard drive. When I purchased the computer, it said I can have a max of 1G RAM. However, when I went to Crucial.com and had their website scan, it said I have the capacity to upgrade to 2G. This is actually the capacity the 4500S can go to. Who do I believe?

As for the hard drive, what is the easiest way I can determine the maximum capacity I can upgrade to? Can't seem to find that in the spec listing.

Thanks

Sorry I did not address the hard drive issue. Hard drive have a set size, and cannot be increased. You can view the size of your hard drive from with in My Computer. You can add a second hard drive easy enough. All you need it a + head screw drive and about 30 mins.

Edited by acklan, 26 March 2007 - 09:18 PM.

Milopar

Milopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the help! As for the hard drive, I am aware that they are fixed but what I was concerned with was getting one too large in size that my system or BIOS could support. I ended up choosing a 120G drive which installed perfectly and is running fine.

As for the Dell specs, they are easy enough to read and for a safety factor I can go along with them. I guess I was concerned that Crucial.com's scan showed that I can support 2G of RAM. Let's face it, with memory being cheap, I'd rather upgrade to 2G :whistling:

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

As for the Dell specs, they are easy enough to read and for a safety factor I can go along with them. I guess I was concerned that Crucial.com's scan showed that I can support 2G of RAM. Let's face it, with memory being cheap, I'd rather upgrade to 2G :whistling:

You are wise beyond your years Grasshopper. Good choice. You will not be sorry. :blink: