Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iMac Novice - AV / Firewall Question

• Please log in to reply

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi everyone,

I've used a PC for years and would consider myself well versed in security measures for PC's. I am helping out a relative who has just bought a new iMac and need some advice from Mac experts.

I appreciate that the number of threats targetting Apple Mac's is significantly lower than PC's, but should I install an Anti-Virus and/or Firewall onto the iMac? My years of dealing with PC's make me feel very vulnerable sitting at a computer without these running :blink:

If someone could help answer this question and then point to some good (free?) software solutions it'd be much appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
ClamXav is free and was developed for Unix like systems. Mac has it's own built in firewall probably based on IP tables like most *nix systems. Thought there are few if any real malware threats to OSX it's still a good idea, IMO, to have security in place.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
99% don't run any security software... I have never ran any and have never had a problem. Odds are they'ld be fine until mac security attacks increase.