Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

dba

dba

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Purplejj, my problem was that I did not know which program was causing the error; had I known that I would naturally have removed and then reinstalled it.

Sjeb, that is EXACTLY the problem I had and without any clue as to which driver, file or program caused the problem. It was only when I ran 'kd' on the memory dump that I was able to get a clue as to what was causing the problem as I mentioned in my previoous post. I assume that the memory dump is being written as indicated at the bottom of the BSOD?
dba

Advertisements

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thx for the reply dba, however I have just finished formatting and reinstalling xp on my pc. I also had the sony handycam software on my pc for just over a year! and I didn't have any problems until 4-07-07 soon after windows updates were released. I seriously think there was a conflict between an update and could have been sony softwareQ I guess I'll never know for sure now! I had no clue how or what tools to run to find a solution to my "driver" problem so, I reformatted it. Thx for your replies, I am sure there will be more peops who have had this problem and they can post them here!

Ken

Sjeb

Sjeb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Dba

How do I run a "kd" on the memory dump?

Thanks, sjeb

dba

dba

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi 7ken, yes I think similarly, that the 'sys' file was affected by the XP update. Before I found the cause of the problem I actually removed all the updates that had been applied after I experienced the problem, but the BSOD was still there. I might try reinstalling the Sony software to see what happens, I'll let everyone know the result! dba

Hi Sjeb, goto http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263 for an explanation. I just opened up a 'cmd' shell, changed directory to "Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows" and ran the command 'kd' followed by the pathname to the dumpfile. If you haven't got the Debugging tools for Windows, go to http://www.microsoft...installx86.mspx. There are several arguments for the 'kd' command but I ignored them all except for the memory dump path, I dont think I even used the -y prefix before the path. It then returned several error messages but listed the possible problem 'sys' file at the end.

Hope this helps, please let me know. dba

citibatter

citibatter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Guys,

I am so glad I found this thread, I thought it was a unique problem to me at first.

I started to have the exact same stop message about 2 weeks ago. Since I also have the Sony Handycam software installed, I tired uninstalling it yesterday and immediately the BSOD was gone. However. I do need that software because I take video of my kid and have to manage and edit them weekly. Upon re-installing the software, the problem is back again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Anyone with the Sony HandyCam issue will have to contact Sony Support to ask then if they have a fix.

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Geez, I'm still not done reinstalling all my software and and configuring my system to the way I want it after I formatted and reinstalled almost everything that I wanted glad I didn't install the sony software again! I wonder how much sony is going to try to charge for updated software! I know they want $62 or so for the picture package software that can only be used with a sony product! What a bunch of BS! I am going to contact them and see if there is a solution or update, and I will post it here if I get an answer. Thx to all who have replied!

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well I chatted on-line with a support rep for sony, they really weren't much help at all! He told me to check this page out: support

When that didn't help I told him that I had tried almost everything, he kept on insisting that I uninstall the software that conflicted with the picture package software. I told him I didn't know exactly what the conflict was. I asked him to forward the transcript to their software developers to fix the problem and he gave me a phone # to call for advanced support: (800) 222-7669. I haven't called them yet but I am going too tomorrow afternoon. Will let everyone know what I accomplish.

I will attach a copy of the transcript if anyone cares to read it!

Attached Files

PLANETAS

PLANETAS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Uninstall Sony Software (Videocamera) and all ok

citibatter

citibatter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have contacted Sony. They said they are aware of the problem and a patch will be released to fix the problem in early June.

The link to their download page is:
http://www.css.ap.sony.com/

Advertisements

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Wow they sure aren't in a hurry to fix this problem! That's ok, I waited quite some time for HP to come up with a fix for their software after IE 7 was released.
Thx citibatter! I just have to find the USA download page if it exists, lol

I also contacted Sony to find out where I can download the patch once it is released and they told me to go to www.ppackage.com

Edited by 7ken, 26 April 2007 - 03:43 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Geez, I'm still not done reinstalling all my software and and configuring my system to the way I want it after I formatted and reinstalled almost everything that I wanted glad I didn't install the sony software again! I wonder how much sony is going to try to charge for updated software! I know they want $62 or so for the picture package software that can only be used with a sony product! What a bunch of BS! I am going to contact them and see if there is a solution or update, and I will post it here if I get an answer. Thx to all who have replied!

Have fun installing all of your software and resetting XP like you want it. I reinstalled a week ago and still have a few programs to reinstall. I think I have all my tweaks done.

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thx! Whiskeyman, I think I have everything finished now! lol

citibatter

citibatter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Model Specific Information :

Notice of USB driver update for Picture Package Version.1.8 for DVD Camcorder

30-04-2007

Thank you for your support of Sony products.

Sony has recently discovered the following symptom with regards to Picture Package Version1.8, the bundled software with certain DVD Camcorders launched in 2005 and 2006.

When a customer tries to shut down his/her Windows® XP Professional Edition,/Windows® XP Home Edition personal computer installed with Picture Package Version.1.8 , it restarts automatically instead of shutting down.

This symptom is due to some recently released application software, which causes incompatibility with “Sony DVD Handycam USB driver 2”, a USB driver component of Picture Package Version.1.8. Any other symptoms with regards to Picture Package Version 1.8 have not been reported to Sony at this moment.

Applicable models:
DCR-DVD7/7E
DCR-DVD653/653E
DCR-DVD703/703E
DCR-DVD803/803E
DCR-DVD805/805E
DCR-DVD755/755E
DCR-DVD905/905E

Countermeasure:
Sony is planning to provide the update of “Sony DVD Handycam USB Driver 2” around the beginning of June. Meanwhile the symptom can be avoided by removing the “Sony DVD Handycam USB Driver 2” from the personal computer as a temporary measure.

How to remove “Sony DVD Handycam USB Driver 2”.
1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Add or Remove Programs
4. Select Sony DVD Handycam USB Driver 2 and remove
5. Restart the computer
Note: When “Sony DVD Handycam USB Driver 2” is removed, DVD data cannot be read/written with Picture Package Version.1.8. However, customers can continue to use other functions of Picture Package Version.1.8.

The update program for “Sony DVD Handycam USB Driver 2” can be downloaded from the Sony Asia Pacific Support website once it’s available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
It looks like we are helping two people in this thread Blue screen errors are often misunderstood even though you have the same blue screen error message they could be 2 completely different issues.

According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

So we can correctly solve this issue we need to get the minidumps.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > use the "add reply" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

EDIT: The second person that is having the same problem that posted in this thread if I read the thread correctly please post a new thread and include the same information.

Edited by tuxmaster, 14 May 2007 - 07:16 AM.