Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista resumes instantly from Sleep and Hibernate

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, with "hybrid sleep" turned on there is no hibernate option, just "sleep" - and when I try to put my PC into sleep mode, it resumes straightaway; that is about 1 second after going into sleep mode. If I turn hybrid sleep off, the hibernate option becomes available, but if I try to hibernate, the same thing happens, Vista just resumes straightaway. Also, I used to use standby all the time with XP, but this has disappeared completely, I presume it has been replaced by sleep.
Anyway, how do I actually use these power options?

Thanks

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well I have the same problem, but with my Motherboard manual it says that I can't use standby mode with it so Sleep and Hibernate won't work, but as you said standby also works on Windows XP for me.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Here you go....I will keep my fingers crossed...

Control Panel / Network and Internet / Network and Sharing Center / Manage Network Connections/ LAN or High-Speed Internet (1) / Local Area Connection Status / Properties / Configure / Power Management / Allow this device to wake the computer -- UNCHECK this box

Oh, and one other suggestion.....

You may want to go into your BIOS setting and disable USB device wake up feature.

Edited by jwinathome, 19 April 2007 - 02:46 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Haven't checked the USB wake BIOS setting yet, but the first suggestion didn't work. "Allow this device to wake the computer" is greyed-out for both my wireless LAN card (which I use) and my Etherenet card (which I don't use). Something I did notice was that there is a third entry in Network Adapters in Device Manager: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface which has an error:
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
Had a quick look for info on this thing but couldn't find much. I looks like it's something to do with IPv6 though. Do I need that?

Edited by tomdrayson, 19 April 2007 - 03:27 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
In case anyone is interested, I have solved the problem by unticking "Allow this device to wake the computer" for my USB mouse. Oddly, this is ENABLED for my keyboard, yet I cannot wake my computer from sleep with the keyboard, I have to use the power button.

Thanks