Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista restore points disappear

• Please log in to reply

someyunguy

someyunguy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
vista restore points keep disappearing - sometimes the next day, sometimes the same day w/o rebooting -
really- this morning the size of the sys volume information folder was 800 mb - now it's 20 kb!
of course sys restore says there are no restore points available

no it's not a dual boot setup
and no i'm not low on disk space

dont know if this is related or not but there is constant hard drive activity since i installed vista
even with indexing turned off

Advertisements

someyunguy

someyunguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
update: i had found a tweak on the net to manually set the size limit of system restore (i set it to 2GB) - i played around with the limits and noticed sometimes a single restore point was over 3 gigs!
humm- could be that if the size limit is smaller than the restore point the whole restore is dumped - guess i assumed vista would 'trim it to fit'...
can't see why you need over 3 gigs for a single day but it seems to work now (i set it to 10GB)
the tweak:
vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=10.0GB