Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with sp2 & dr watson post mortem debugger message

• Please log in to reply

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
keith thanks for your help>we are almost fixed> my problems are caps lock is reversed<EXCEPT FOR COMMAS< periods backslash> i lost my incredimail emails< i am downloading microsoft updates now but i did lose microsoft word maybe it need reinstalled not having periods and commas is difficult! My husband downloaded all my photos, I just solved the period and commas, I hit shift and it corrected all that. I don't understand what happened but what ever works. I did have a question I have norton, it got reinstalled with the recovery disc, I have access to McAfee through my husbands work and then all the microsoft downloads...after all the mess in this computer I am not confident about which to use, any suggestions.
Hey I have spent 2 wonderful vacations in England;Gloucesershire, Winchcomb and Broadway doing the ancester hunt. Loved it, so different from US, manners, sweet , nice people..Thanks again, Karen

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which do you prefer

Either of those can be resource hogs

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Norton really slowed the computer down, but McAfee was most likely messed up from the start. Ralph put it on and didn't take off Norton...the beginning of this mess I think. Hey I am pretty happy I can use my number pad again, if it's a flip of the coin Nortons on, I'd leave it but if there are good reasons to change I would. Thanks again. K

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Usually those won't install if they detect the other and having both must have been interesting

Good combinations for firewall and anti virus are:

Zone Alarm with AVG or Comodo with AVG

http://www.filehippo...zonealarm_free/

http://www.filehippo..._avg_antivirus/

http://www.filehippo...ownload_comodo/

If you opt to change then you can download and save to a folder whichever ones you decide on, then run the Norton removal tool, then install the firewall and anti virus

You could run tune up in between removing Norton and installing the new ones, but it's optional

Download, install and run Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Norton Removal Tool

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

KarenAA

KarenAA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
thanks, thanks again...you do good work! Well give it a run..tomorrow is another day and my computer is running and I did save all my important email addresses. Thanks again, Karen