Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking vista help

• Please log in to reply

the5element

the5element

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have a laptop(XP media center edition version 2002 service pack 2) and a desktop(vista home premium). the laptop has wireless internet and i want to network both comps together to share stuff and the internet. i have a crossover cable and i need to know the specific steps to network them. im not completely comp illiterate but treat me like i am so i can follow the steps without mistake. ive never networked 2 comps before. well i seem to have them networked to share stuff but i cant figure out how to get vista to use the laptops internet. plz help.

Advertisements

Schnick1

Schnick1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Where is your wireless router in relation to your desktop?
If it's close, I would suggest connecting your desktop to the router, or getting a wireless adapter for your PC.

Another thing you'll want to make sure you have done is have a user account in Vista that has a Password for it (ie. User: Net, PW: xxxx). You don't need to be using this account, but for whatever reasons (security I suppose) XP can not connect to Vista unless it is through a user account with a password.