Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

GumbyŠ

GumbyŠ

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I've used Netscape for as long as I can remember for my email client and never had a need for a calendar at home. Now, I've installed Office 2003 and would like to use Outlook for both email and calendar purposes. I have two questions.

1. How can I transfer hundreds of emails from Netscape 7.2 to Outlook 2003 (I tried Outlook Express as an intermediary option but it doesn't recognize Netscape as being installed to assist in the transfer).

2. How can I transfer 7 different PST files into Outlook Calendar so I have only 1 PST file. The 7 PST files are from different jobs in which I've worked at over the years and I'd like to maintain one comprehensive calendar instead of switching back and forth into each one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

GumbyŠ

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi GumbyŠ, welcome to Geeks to Go!

2. How can I transfer 7 different PST files into Outlook Calendar so I have only 1 PST file. The 7 PST files are from different jobs in which I've worked at over the years and I'd like to maintain one comprehensive calendar instead of switching back and forth into each one.

Do your PST files include other stuff besides Calendar items? Do you want to import only the Calendar items or everything?

To import the files into your current Outlook structure: Open Outlook, click File, Import/Export, Import from another file/program, scroll to Personal Folder File (PST). On the next screen, click Browse to find one of your files. The next screen deals with which folder to import and where to import the file in your current structure. Be sure to highlight Calendar in the upper portion of the screen if that's the only thing you want to import - otherwise allow the default. The safest and most fool-proof choice is "Import into the same folder in" and then open the drop-down box and choose your Personal Folders. This will import Calendar into the Calendar folder.

The import the next file.

You should make a backup of your current PST file in case things go awry.

GumbyŠ

GumbyŠ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
WOW!!! Thanks LindaGail. Not sure why I didn't think of that unless I tried it with Outlook 2000 and there was some compatibility issue with it and the 2003 Outlook file format, or that option wasn't available in 2000. It worked flawlessly and all my calendar, tasks, email and contacts from Outlook over the past 10 years are now in one place. Now, if only I could find a way to transfer my Netscape email into Outlook (some more than 12,000 email messages), I would have a complete history of myself dating back to 1995.

Thanks again.

GumbyŠ

P.S. As an added note,I still have data from two previous calendar programs that contain activities dating back to 1988. I still need to re-find the programs to access the data before I try to figure out how to pull that into Outlook.

GumbyŠ

GumbyŠ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I finally figured out the other problem of transferring hundreds of emails (actually it turned out to be a little over 16,000) from Netscape 7.2 (N7.2) to Outlook 2003. As mentioned in my original message, when I start Outllook Express to try the most often offered solution, it does not recognize any installation of Netscape. After using the Alta Vista search engine (can't beleive Google didn't show this) I found (I think it was the second search result) an alternative that works. I had to install Netscape 4.9 (N4.9) and copy my N7.2 mail folders to the folder used by N4.9. After the copying of the mail folders I had to open each one in N4.9 mail program to automatically convert the emails to the N4.9 format from the N7.2 format (different file extenstions from .msf to .snm and different locations - N7.2 was located in the 'Documents and Settings' folder while N4.9 was located in the 'Netscape' folder in the 'Program Files' folder). Once the email folders were converted to N4.9 I was able to import into Outlook Express then into Outllook 2003. It was an added step in the more commonly offered solution but an important step nonetheless. Hope this offers some assistance to others.

GumbyŠ

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks so much for posting your solution :whistling: