Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about renewing Norton Antivirus on two computers.

• Please log in to reply

mreuter

mreuter

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't know if this is the right forum, sorry if it is not.
I bought a laptop about a month ago, my free 30 day trial for McAfee is about up, also my Norton on my home computer is about to expire.
Can I load Norton on my laptop and renew on my home computer with the same subscription or do I have to buy two different subscriptions?
Do I have to upgrade to Norton 360, it says in the description that it can be installed on up to three PC's, does this include a laptop?
My laptop is Vista, home computer is XP, does this affect anything?

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi mreuter
As far the the Store salesman says you can install this on any 3 Computer's of your Choice and there are some good free ones available and Yes this is in the Wrong Forum but i am sure Someone will be along shortly and Move it to the Right one. Good Luck

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
That is not necessarily correct, Cheyenne. It depends on the software itself. You would need to ask Norton if your particular subscription is good for ALL of your home pc's, or only one of them.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Your best bet, to save money and to have a product that works very well, is to get AVG Antivirus Free Edition. It can be downloaded at http://free.grisoft.com. It is a completely free real-time virus scanner/protector and works a lot better then anything you could buy from McAfee or Norton. I use it myself. :whistling:

Fenor

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

Hi mreuter
As far the the Store salesman says you can install this on any 3 Computer's of your Choice and there are some good free ones available and Yes this is in the Wrong Forum but i am sure Someone will be along shortly and Move it to the Right one. Good Luck

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Please, for the love of Pete, use periods and commas. Punctuation is your friend!

mreuter

If Norton and Mcafee are about to expire, consider yourself lucky. You can get rid of them both and get a much better program.

Free programs are great. They allow those who don't have the financial means to stay well protected. However, if you have the money and want to have the best available protection, your best bet is to invest in either Kaspersky or Nod32. Both are top notch programs that will provide you with the best possible defense against viruses and malware.

Nothing is 100%, but these 2 are the most highly regarded of the available programs.

mreuter

mreuter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for all the info and the replies, I think I am going to give the Nod32 a try. Thanks again.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for all the info and the replies, I think I am going to give the Nod32 a try. Thanks again.

Wise choice.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Second that :whistling: I switched from Norton to NOD32, and I'm VERY impressed! I got half of my resources back too! (Or at least it feels like it) You'll love it, trust us :blink:

mreuter

mreuter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I Googled "Nod32" to read some info and reviews about it, it seems that all the reviews I read say it is for a more "advanced" user and it takes a lot of time and knowledge to set up and get the full benefits. I'm a little worried that it may be too advanced for me. One of the review sites had Bitdefender as the top software followed by Kaspersky, it was a lot less expensive than Kaspersky and was rated as the easiest to use for beginners, any thoughts on Bitdefender?

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
NOD32 has a free 30 day trial as do most reputable products. Give it a spin and see what you think.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It's not that hard, you could do it. If you have any questions about it, read the help guide, or ask :whistling:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Install like any other program, make sure its on, and keep it updated. There is nothing advanced about it. There can be if you want to mess with it, but it works perfectly without any changes. Leave it alone and let it do its job, you wont have any problems.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
My best bet is to buy Microsoft OneCare. You can protect up to 3 computers.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

My best bet is to buy Microsoft OneCare. You can protect up to 3 computers.

:whistling:

mreuter

mreuter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I downloaded the Nod32 30 day free trial yesterday, doesn't seem to complicated so far.