Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Very Slow!

• Please log in to reply

snowboardtogo

snowboardtogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well I have no idea on how to move them, and even if I did, my parents wouldn't really trust me in moving them. :whistling:

I also just ran the Crucial memory scanner and here wer the results.

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1.5GB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz Model 4, Stepping 1
CPU Speed: 3000 MHz

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC4000 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I see what you mean about the 200MHZ for each. I thought the program would give one speed for 'all three'. Hard to explain.

Don't worry about moving them. But wait for instructions on how to do it. I'll do some more research on those chips and post back in the morning.

Bobmad may have the solution to this one...

snowboardtogo

snowboardtogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, I will wait to hear from you tomorow. Thanks for all your help so far.
Good night.

Also hear are the exact Crucial Results if either of you 2 are intested in them. Just click in it to open them. Then once its open you can click it a few more times to make it bigger.
Posted Image

Edited by snowboardtogo, 20 May 2007 - 11:28 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
It looks like you have dual channel memory acording to that Crucial screen. I think he would have been better off installing two 512 matched chips. Going on 2:00AM. I'll look at it when I wake up....

Edited by macten, 20 May 2007 - 11:57 PM.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Macten is doing well, I'm looking for answer but haven't found one yet.

At first it looked like a problem I've had in past. It isn't.

BTW have you looked to see what's eating your CPU cycles, is it idle or is a process eating CPU?

Edited by bobmad, 21 May 2007 - 08:00 AM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I found someone else who did the same thing. Make sure that both 256M chips are in the same channel:

"If your motherboard is dual channel there should be slots marked in two different colors. (eg blue and black) the slots of the same color belong to one channel. So what you can do is install both 512s (eg on blue) to one channel and the other single 1Gb to the other channel (eg one of the black). "

http://answers.yahoo...14113608AABfmQz

So for now look inside with a flashlight and determine if both of the 256 chips are in the same channel.

I've got work to do today and will look back later...

snowboardtogo

snowboardtogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok I will open it right now and take a look.

Ill post back in like 10 minutes when I am done looking.

snowboardtogo

snowboardtogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, both of the 256 MB chips were in the blue slots. The 1 GB chip was in one of the black colored slots. I could tell the difference in the chips because the 1 GB chid had a sticker on it saying Crucial 1 GB.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
so are you saying that it is slower with the 1G stick added than before with just the 2 256 sticks in?

snowboardtogo

snowboardtogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, that is correct. :whistling:

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I just thought i would throw an idea out there. Possibly a conflict with different RAM timings?

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
If that's it, how do we test? It seems that removing the Gig chip and testing performance is not an option.

I was asking about CPU usage because there is that known SVCHOST.EXE issue that is making machines slow/unresponsive. The RAM upgrade COULD be coincidence....

KB927891 was just added as a critical update, to address SVCHOST.EXE eating CPU (caused by MSI).

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I do know that certain hardware just will not work with other hardware.

Will adding a second matching 1G stick solve the problem? I'm not sure.

How long has it been running with the 3rd stick in there? Other than slowness, have you noticed any other problems.

Here's what I would try. I bought some PNY RAM years ago and the machine wouldn't recognize it. I took it back and they gave me a stick of Kingston. Even exchange. You might want to consider taking it back but you'll have to figure out what your going to say. If they take it back I would get two sticks of matching 512M.

snowboardtogo

snowboardtogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The 1 GB stick has been in there about a month. I haven't really noticed anything else but it being slow. I highly doubt my dad will let us take the RAM back, but it is worth a shot talking to him.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Do what Bobmad suggests. Bring up task manager...ctrl+alt+del and then click on the 'Performance' tab. Wait for it to settle down. Whats your cpu doing? Take several readings and post back.