Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom building, would like critique and advice please

• Please log in to reply

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Well, mine sat on my carpeted floor for 4 months, with all fans set to high, and the only really dusty components were the hard drives, and the exterior of the case was filthy during monthly cleanings. I never cleaned the interior of the case. And despite the dust on the HDD's, the drive temps never once exceeded 30C (keep in mind I have central air). Having a fan on the hard drives dropped my average drive temps over 10C going from a cheapo case to this one. I can't help but feel a lot of drives die prematurely just because people jam them in next to other drives and CD ROMs with no airflow and no way to bleed off heat.

The CPU heat sink was really not all that bad. The fan blades throughout the case uniformly were dirty at the leading edge but otherwise no issue there.

You are right about hardwood though, lousy for your PC but who knows what treasure is buried in our carpets for our lungs to inhale LOL I miss my last house and its hardwood floors though. I would take that over carpet any day, especially since I have cats (which never come into my office). At least with hardwood you can see the dust bunnies and catch em!

Edited by Adebisi, 10 June 2007 - 10:44 AM.

Advertisements

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I guess one point I wanted to make about the A900 case as well was that if you place it on your desk, not the floor, you will not be able to see your IDE light. I put a game CD case from Oblivion in the device tray as I need to keep that game handy anyway, and I can see the light reflected in the CD case that way :whistling:

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
A few pictures to share.

First is my LCD display for my G15 keyboard I created using LCD Studio. This program is unbelievably easy to use and its free and works with many different LCD panels, not just the G15.

Posted Image

Now here is my desktop layout and a picture of the side of my A900 case.

I have done some basic wire management but it is still a mess. Once my new CPU fan arrives, and my cable sleeving arrives, and my UV lights arrive LOL I will do much better. But for now this setup protects my wires nicely (nothing touches the video card even though it looks as though it does) and there is huge airflow around the CPU and the NB heatsink.

Posted Image

I should point out that the LCD monitor does not look good in the picture, but it is actually brighter and has more contrast then my CRT when seen in person. This is due to my crappy little camera and my lack of photo skillz, I am sure, and not a fault of the monitor.

Once I get all the cable sleeving and new fan and lights in place I will come post a picture again. It will look much different. I also plan to hide some wiring behind the motherboard panel, so some case modification will be in order. This is all going to be my rainy day project.

I have to say I truly do like the G15 panel. This custom app I made for it rocks. I am a beta tester for various games (cannot say which do to beta non-disclosures) and often get into beta tests early because I provide detailed analysis about the performance of a certain game using whatever computer I am running. So this little LCD panel will help immensely.

Edited by Adebisi, 10 June 2007 - 11:50 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Never even thought of moving the fan to the top of the front. I can't do this because my tower is on the floor but it's a cool idea if I ever move it up onto my desk.

I'm to cheap for cable sleaves :whistling: I used electrical tape, only one the ends as my cables came with sleaves, Silverstone just for some reason didn't make them 1/2 inch longer on each end, duct tape and no electical tape is my soluiton to everything. I'm like you got everything tucked away, all my SATA wires are under the bottom fan (litterly under, theres a slot there) the rest are in the empty 5.25" drive slots. :blink:

Looks good, is that a 22" monitor or 24" (lol I see 24" in your signature now, good job! wish I had enough money for one, o well I can do with the 22"), I got a 22" but it's contrast is to low, plan on getting a dual setup in the fall along with a quad core setup if money persists. Along with the thermaltec 120 extreme :help:

You really like that G15 don't you, I'm thinking of this purchase at the end of summer. What is it that you like about it/don't like.

Can you get me in the door for some beta testing :help:

James

Edited by james_8970, 10 June 2007 - 12:23 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Just wondering, is the Antec 900 a better deal than the Stacker 830. Also does it come with 6 fans. Or do you have to buy the other 2. Because on Newegg it says 1 rear fan and 2 front fans, and a top fan. Thanks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's half the price which I think is a huge plus.
It only comes with 4 fans, one of which is 200mm the other three are 120mm (2 in the the front one in the back).
However you also mount a 120mm to the side of the case and another in the front, though I think that other fan in the front (inside of the case you can't see where you'd mount it in any picutres) is pointless as there would be a fan sitting 15cm away.
James

Edit: In other words yes you need to buy the other 2.

Edited by james_8970, 10 June 2007 - 12:45 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Are you talking about the fan right next to the HD's. I can see the mount for it on Newegg. Anyways, Im going to get the Antec. It will sit on the floor so I hope it doesnt get too dusty. I may put something on the floor so it isnt on top of the carpet. And I may buy an extra fan. I'm also getting a modular PSU so hopefully I wont have a cable problem like you guys. Lol. Also, even though the PSU sits at the bottom of the case, can the cables reach the mobo without struggling. Or is it a stretch. Im getting the Enermax Infiniti 720 Watt PSU. It's modular and I hope the cables are long enough.

Edited by Drumbum667, 10 June 2007 - 01:18 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have a modular PSU, the only problem with this that I have is the fact the PSU is on the bottom, heat rises. Which is why mine is supper efficiant, I wouldn't recommend a PSU any larger then mine (850W stider, to lazy to get the model number right now as I have to get back to studying for my math exam tomorrow), I don't think a kilowatt PSU would fit, my PSU is modular, and because of which slightly larger then the none modular one giving a bit less room for fool around with cables.
Yeah there is one right by the hard drive to cool your graphics cards.
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Can you tell me which PSU you have later. How many watts is it. If the cables are logn enough with that one, maybe Ill get it.

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
For my Zeus 750w, what I did was I moved the HDD's (all 3) into the very top of the case, where you can see on the case front the lighted fan is.

In the middle three bays I have one SATA DVD RW but no fan, and it just doesn't need on there anyway.

On the lower 3 drive bays, I again have the fan/HDD box installed and I have stuffed the HDD bays with all the leftover cable from my PSU. I still get some air flow through there to the PSU, believe it or not! But I know those cables are going to get VERY dusty sitting right behind the fan LOL And my PSU barely gets warm enough to notice even when my CPU/GPU are cranked ( likely because it far exceeds my draw )

Built in cable management for this case is non-existent basically so if that is a priority for you understand you will have to do some work.

I really wish I had got a modular PSU though. I actually thought this one was modular when I ordered it but thats what you get when you order stuff late at night heh.

You really like that G15 don't you, I'm thinking of this purchase at the end of summer. What is it that you like about it/don't like.

OK here goes :whistling:

Good:

It feels great to type on. Just the right amount of resistance and spring. Keys are nicely concaved on the top. Home keys (the f and j) have very prominent and easy to feel nubs compared to most cheap keyboards, which is important for us old school typists to type in the dark

Back lit keys, great at night or in a dark room. Every single key is lit including the mute button and the button to turn off the keyboard light. The media/winamp controls are also lit. The LCD can be lit or left unlit. The only buttons not lit up are the switch that turns off the windows key during gaming, the button you push to switch between LCD display programs, and the 4 little function buttons that allow you to interact with LCD display programs that support them.

18 programmable keys, each with an M1, M2, or M3 setting. Basically you can program all 18 keys, then switch from M1 to M2 and reprogram them again under the M2, etc... for M3. You can also do this for every single game. So if you played EQ, you could use M1 to set up your raiding macros, M2 to set up your grouping macros, and M3 to set up your auctioning macros, etc.... When you run a game, it loads your saved profile for that game automatically.

LCD custom app support: Great community, LCD studio is free, easy to use, and works with speedfan, FRAPS and a boatload of other things to let your build your very own LCD app. You can also download the SDK if you know C++ programming and do pretty much anything you want, including controlling the lights on the keyboard, etc...

The 2 USB ports are in a good location for a mouse or headset to plug in.

Bad:

The keyboard feet. These usually suck on most keyboards, and they are only slightly better here. There are 2 settings, no elevation, and full elevation of the rear of the keyboard. Typical of most cheap keyboards but you would think higher end keyboards would have provided a wider range of adjustment by now.

The USB ports are only type 1, and the keyboard itself is said to use pretty much half the allotted power for USB 1 devices. So there is no way you are going to plug in USB devices that need a higher level of power to these ports. They work fine with a headset or mouse though. I can say that first hand.

Hot key location - all the hot keys are way off to the left. Not convenient for some games. Should have placed half on each side of keyboard instead. Also, all the keys are generically labeled G1 through G18 so you had better have a good memory to keep track of all your hot keys for all your games. Would be nice to find an after-market overlay you can label the keys with.

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Do you think this PSU Enermax Galaxy is too big to fit in the Antec 900. Sorry to steal your thread Adebisi. Thanks.

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Found this great overlay template on the web.

Works perfectly in photoshop. Prints to the exact needed size.

Attached Thumbnails

• G15_Keys.jpg

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
What is that a template of. And it doesnt work when I try to enlarge it.

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
It is an overlay to use for your G15 hot keys.

I printed it just fine in photoshop.

Your mileage may vary in other programs.

Send me an email at [email protected] and I will email it to you. For some reason, web browsers do not like this image and it will not display at full size. Have the same problem with it in both MS and Moz browsers.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Edit your e-mail out of there quickly or your going to get spam.

http://www.ncix.com/.....ne Technology
This is my PSU, the reason why I like it, is becaue it has dual 8pin PCIe cables then another 4 PCIe 6pin. The PCIe 8pin cables also have an additional 6pin PCIe cable. There are only 2 very high amp 12V rails.

Though the 12V rails seem to fluctuate a bit more then they should, I did the same thing as Adebisi, ordered at midnight and wasn't reading clearly, whether this'll be a problem I'll find out when I get my graphics card in the mail..... I don't think it will be - I hope.

James