Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

weird problems

• Please log in to reply

zuggalo

zuggalo

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi

Ive just got help in the malware removal part of the sight and was told to come here to get help to fix the following problems.

When i try to uninstall something i get a windows box with nothing in it apart from the ok button or

"The file unis000-0.bin is missing or something to that effect depending on the program im trying to uninstall"

When i open nero i get

"The nero executable file was modified! maby your pc is infected by a virus! we recommend to use the latest virus software to check your pc."

Also every time i close mozila firefox it deletes all my bookmarks, resets everything ive entered into search bars ect and resets all the toolbar icons.

Thanks in advance
brad

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using this version of Nero, if not, you may as well make a note of the serial number, run the general clean tool and install the new version

http://www.filehippo...nero_7_premium/

Using the Nero Clean Tool

There are clean tools available for Nero 6 and 7 but before you use them, make sure you have made a note of the serial number

Nero release updated versions, however, installing them usually involves downloading the complete package, so it can be as well to completely remove the current installation and clean install Nero

Generally, you should check the release notes for any update to see whether they include any changes which will be of use to you. If the version you have installed runs well and does everything you need, then leave things as they are.

If you decide to update Nero, download the version you need to your hard drive before removing the current installation

Click this to download versions 3 through 6 of Nero

Click this to download all versions of Nero 7

Click This for Nero 6 Clean Tool

Click This for Nero 7 Clean Tool

Run the tool and select clean all

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, click select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete

Reboot the PC

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Install Nero

Reboot the PC

Do you intend to re-install any of the programmes you want to uninstall now

zuggalo

zuggalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
hi

thanks for the help

where can i find the nero serial number tho please?

thanks
brad

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, Nero, product set up, license

zuggalo

zuggalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ive got nero 6.6.0.1 and i cant see it anywhere sorry

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can run start smart, click the word Nero on the left, then it will show the serial number

If you cannot run start smart

http://www.nero.com/...l_Number.html#1

Before you uninstall it, have you got the Nero software CD, or the installation files on the hard drive?

zuggalo

zuggalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
found it thanks i couldnt open nero so had to go the regedit way

i dont know if i actually ever had a cd does it matter if i dont?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Just wanted to check you can re-install it from somewhere first :whistling:

http://www.nero.com/...eng/nero-up.php

You could try the update route first, packages 1 and 2 will replace what you have, packet 3 is optional, as is package 4. Download and install package 1 first then 2 and so on, save them to the hard drive in case you need to uninstall

If it wont update, uninstall it then download the packages you want from the link in this post

zuggalo

zuggalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
the updates worked thanks

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, click select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete <--- do i still have to do that?

Do you intend to re-install any of the programmes you want to uninstall now <--- no not unless i have to uninstall things i want to keep so that in the future if i want to get rid of them i can... if you get what i mean there.

eg ive got games installed but ill eventually uninstall them if i can do that without uninstalling them now cool if not then ill uninstall...

the problem also aplys to every program on the comp that has a uninstall feature not just one or two

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With prefetch, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

As to the games, if they run or don't cause any problems then they can stay in place

If the uninstall information is missing, but the programme runs then leave it

Re-installing a programme usually replaces the uninstall information