Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Ctrl + V game

• Please log in to reply

geekwithoutgrounds

geekwithoutgrounds

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
pinnacle

hmmm, interesting

Advertisements

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Sony Believes Hardcore Gamers Laugh At Wii Motion Controls

I was posting a topic at the Wiiso forums to show how pathetic Sony has gotten...

P.S. Technically, I'm breaking the rules... I used Command+V :-P

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
New blog post up! Check it out: http://bit.ly/7wdDbc :)

Am I gonna get yelled at for spamming?

geekwithoutgrounds

geekwithoutgrounds

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

twas recommending a program :)

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Please bear with me. I am not very computer literate but can follow clear step-by-step instructions if provided.

My computer had been running very slow over the past couple of months. My anti-virus prog had not found any viruses or malware for at least the last month. In the past two weeks there were a couple of available updates for Adobe Reader 8 and a Windows update for Outlook Express 2003. Neither update would install no matter what I tried. On Tuesday I noticed on my computer at work that there was a Windows update and it installed 18 of them. However, my home computer still had that one Outlook Express update that absolutely would not install. On Thursday I stayed home from work due to illness and decided after two days of trying to find out what the heck the problem was and finding no solution that it might be a good idea to do a factory restore on the home comp. I've done this before but not with this much trouble. On Tuesday (5/4/2010) I was able to access the Microsoft website. On Thursday (5/6/2010) after the factory restore I could not - nor could I access the Avira website. I could go just about everywhere else though. So after two more days of poking around and researching the web I read something on a tech forum that lead me to believe that this might be the result of a virus. This is what I've done since 5/6/2010:

1. Factory restore - Windows automatic updates no longer an option

2. Tried to go Microsoft and Avira websites - no soap

3. Downloaded a couple of Registry Scan progs (Registry Booster and Reg Cure) - A LOT of registry errors (200+). I'd love to fix these but I have NO money to register either program.

4. Downloaded Dial-A-Fix to force open the automatic updates. It worked. However, I still could not install any updates and could not get to Microsoft's website. I had to restart the comp (for some reason I can't remember now). When I checked the System icon under Control Panel, the tab for the updates was gone completely.

5. Update and scan through Spybot S&D found eight trojans. Killed those.

6. I was able to re-install the Avira program that I downloaded a year ago. It would not update but I ran a full scan and it picked out five viruses. However I could not get the program to scan in real-time. After destroying the viruses I decided to try an uninstall/reinstall with the hope that doing so might solve the real-time scan problem. It will not reinstall now.
[attachment=41580:antivirscrnshot.bmp]

7. Update and scan with Malwarebytes found one virus. Killed that.

6. Rebooted in Safe Mode w/networking. Downloaded CCleaner. It fixed about 1/2 of the registry problems. Re-scanned with Malwarebytes. Found nothing. Restarted normal.

7. Dug around on the web to try to find out why I couldn't go to Microsoft or any other anti-virus websites. Found out through another tech forum that it is most likely due to a virus.

8. Spazzed out and came here for help.

Here is my system info:
[attachment=41581:systeminfo.JPG]

If you additional info just let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.

It took me 10 minutes to type all of this. Didn't want to lose it. :)

Magnificent Exploding Head

Magnificent Exploding Head

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
grammaticaly incorrect

Hmm...must be from a previous post...

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
blank ^ since my last one was a screenshot LOLL!!

emikat

emikat

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
router being hijacked
trying to get my computer all fixed up

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
shuttered

i got too lazy into typing something and so yeahh

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The good news is, you provided the intended purpose of this hardware. The bad news is, sadly, you made a classic mistake when asking for hardware purchasing advice - you failed to mention your budget. :) "Won't break the bank" is only meaningful to you.

i was copying Digerati

Advertisements

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I don't have anything. :) Lame.

jetpac

jetpac

• Pip
  • 6 posts
<div style="font-size: 20px; font-style: italic; font-weight: bold; text-align: center; color: red" id="msgBox"></div>

ewww inline style, what was I thinking?

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I'll start it off with the first 5 letters. Make a sentence using the letters then give 5 new letters to the following person to do the same.
S A K O J

Sally Always Keeps Orange Juice

NEXT LETTERS

M A L T S

ANSWER: MOST ATHLETES LOVE TALL SHOES.

NEXT LETTERS

V O I C E

ANSWER:Very Often I Can't Exercise

UNDERSTAND OR CONFUSED? TRY IT, ITS FUN!!!!

Jcat46

Jcat46

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Advertise For Free Now
www.Google.com/AdWords
Get $75 of Free Advertising on Google Now. Sign Up Today!

What the...?

GameWorldLeader

GameWorldLeader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Silent Killer

interesting