Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer acting up: CWS.MSconfig? SideStep?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mdr29

mdr29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a fax number thru j2 -- is that the same as eFax? I may have once downloaded their software to view a fax but now exclusively use Photoshop to open their files.

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok, good, eFax belongs to j2.

Do you remember if you installed any software just prior to your problem?

Edited by bananafanafo, 12 April 2005 - 11:54 AM.

mdr29

mdr29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I really can't remember exactly... :tazz: I know I updated to Adobe Reader 7 within the last two weeks. I installed Picasa 2 recently, though this may have been after the problems began. StuffIt (free version) within the last month or so. Other than that, Norton Systemworks Premiere 2005 and TaxCut Federal and State 2004 were installed sometime in January. Do you think I should I try uninstalling and reinstalling any of these?

mdr29

mdr29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
In case it helps, I wanted to add that lately I have been having trouble when syncing my Clie (Palm) with the PC. When I do the HotSync (ver 4.1.0, upgraded maybe 6 months ago), it only works about half the time; the other times it gives a blue screen with a bunch of error text and I have to manually restart. Might this have corrupted my Windows files or something?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Can you use the run function?

If you can, then go to Start > Run and type in:

sfc /scannow

Make sure there is a space between sfc and /

Just let it do what it does and let me know if you receive any kind of error message.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
oh and you have to be in "normal" mode as that command will not work in safe mode.

mdr29

mdr29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was able to run SFC successfully, but it didn't turn up anything. I guess if the windows components work in Safe Mode, then the files must okay, right? Something loading upon normal boot is making the computer unhappy...

Maybe we're many steps away from this, but since my computer seems to be free of malware critters (right?),would you recommend installing SP2 now or waiting until my other issues are resolved?

I really appreciate all the time you've put in for me over the last couple of days!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You'll probably want to hold off on the XP SP2 for now. I would actually like to try to repair Internet Explorer (reinstall) to see if it helps. Then you can download load "IE 6 Service Pack 2":

Be sure you're able to VIEW HIDDEN FILES

Browse to C:\Windows\inf (hidden folder)

Locate ie.inf, right click on it and go to "install".

Edited by bananafanafo, 14 April 2005 - 12:10 AM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Oh yeah, as soon as you reinstall before doing anything on the Internet, you need to go to the microsoft website to download IE 6 SP2 otherwise your browser will be extremely vulnerable to attack.

mdr29

mdr29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I feel like a dope, but where on Microsoft's site can I find IE 6 Service Pack 2? I downloaded and tried to run something (KB884020) but it said I needed IE6 SP2 at a minimum and I can't find the "base" update. :tazz:

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
http://www.microsoft.com/

Under "Product Resources" click on Windows Update - then it will scan your computer for the updates it needs, choose IE Service Pack 2 under critical updates.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
KB884020 is an update for XP SP2, which you don't have unless you went ahead and installed XP Service Pack 2.

mdr29

mdr29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The only way I can access IE is thru Safe Mode, but when I choose Express Install (Recommended) from the Windows Update screen, I get this error:

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
For self-help options:

Windows Update Response Center

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Windows Update Newsgroups
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Does the update feature not run in Safe Mode? Do you know a way I can manually find the IE 6 Service Pack 2? It doesn't turn up in a recognizable form (to me, at least) when I do a search.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Well, since you still can't use Internet Explorer then it's not that important to update it at the moment.

I think you may have something in XP that is corrupted.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Try to see if you can fnd this file (not by searching as it probably won't show up that way):

C:\system32\openme.htm

If you find it, then delete it. If it won't let you delete it, rename it then delete it.