Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Windows cannot find" error mesage Can't open files dir

• Please log in to reply

pprofpopp

pprofpopp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[size="2"]Dear GTG<

As a new member, hope springs eternal that you can help with.......(OK, let me try just 1 to start with).........a Vista problem. :whistling:

I have a 6 week old laptop that came with Vista ultimate installed. I installed office 2007 (more about the snail-like issues with outlook 2007 later). I have 2g memory and 2 hard discs, c, with all of the programs on it and D with all of my files and documents.

This is a new-ish problem (ie a few weeks old) but I can't pinpoint exactly what I did that may have caused it.

Windows won't let me 'directly' find and then open a document through either its 'search' function, or when the doc is attached to an email, or even if the doc is sitting on my desktop.

If I find a document via search and click on it, i go through all the usual UAC screens then I get the error message (with a non-reassuring 'clang' noise!):

"Windows cannot find D:/documents/conferences (or whatever the doc name is). Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again."

Same thing hapens if I try to open a document through the "Recent Items' menu or if I try to open one that's attached to an email.

If anyone has any suggestions or fixes, I'd be very grateful.

PS: This is my first post so apologies if I have omitted any important info.

cheers

Pprofpopp

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
A couple of things to try....
make sure your Anti-virus hasn't moved it to a new location
make sure your default printer is not a networked printer

pprofpopp

pprofpopp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Jacee,

many thanks for reply.

No, default printer is my home standalone.

No, these files are still in original locations.

have since worked out that this error only affects Word files. I tried search and select some powerpoint and excel files and they oped OK from both within Vista search function and from recent items and from desktop. Only word files won't open.

However, if I open word, then find, select and open them, they open OK.

The plot thickens :-)

thanks a lot

Philip

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
pprofpopp,

Aparently it is a common problem becosue there is a Microsoft KB for this.

Try the steps In KB 932989

pprofpopp

pprofpopp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone,

Problem solved at last!!!!!!

First, I noticed that all went well when I tuned off UAC., but since I don't really want to do this, I 'played about' some more.

I noticed that my Word programe logo had a little 'windows shield' symbol on its corner.

Turns out that the check box in its properties was checked as 'Run as administrator'.

When I unchecked this - all works well. I can open files directly, search and open directly and open via 'recent items'

happy days

Thanks to those who responded with help.

Now for the Satanic 'Please wait while windows configures......." problem :-)

Philip