Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

StandOff question

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
That depends. IF the card is faulty, then it's worth a shot sending it back & getting it replaced under warranty, although you may need to send it back to the people you bought it from instead of ATI - depends on the warranty you have. If the card turns out to be OK, then obviously they'll simply send it back & may charge you a testing fee.

It may be that the problem is with the SLI switch clip instead. Ideally, you want to either test the card in another system or test another PCI-E card in your motherboard. If neither of these options are possible then you could simply buy another PCI-E card. If the problem turns out to be the ATI card, then send it back under warranty. If the second card is identical, then you could use both video cards in SLI mode. If i's not the same, then you could simply sell one of them.

However, I would be more concerned at the moment as to why the SLI switch clip isn't working properly. If it is faulty, then maybe you should RMA the motherboard instead. When you insert the SLI switch, make sure you press both ends in at the same time i.e so that the clips snap into place together, not one after the other.
Were both clips working OK when you first got the board?

Advertisements

b1ad3

b1ad3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
nope. it still goes in all the way, but the one on the left is bent or something because instead of it holding the chip thats to the right of it, its bent into the left a LITTLE bit so it cant get a big part of the chip to hold.. but i dont think thats the problem.. I only ave 65 bucks, so i might aswell send the board back, and get one with built in video, so if its the card, i wont have to buy another one to use my pc. Plus in july, after intel price cuts, im getting the quad core thats ganna be like $266 and a 8800gts or x2900, whichever one will have better drives and such..

ok, the card is sold out, so if it is the card, neweggs giving me 90 bucks back, and i bought it for 86 so thats nice i guess. im keeping the motherboard, i like it so yea, i hope its the card... i read on newegg that this board has problems with the pentium D 805, which is what i have, and it wasnt posting or anything.. are you sure the 1 beep and 6 beeps mean a card problem?

Edited by b1ad3, 06 June 2007 - 04:49 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

are you sure the 1 beep and 6 beeps mean a card problem?

No, I'm not sure at all. To be honest, I can't find any AMI/AWARD/PHOENIX beep code which matches this one exactly. There's several things which the POST test checks right at the beginning & we know the test is failing early on otherwise you would a display on the screen.
One of the first things is the ram (first 64k of ram) but because you got a different beep when you removed the memory, this suggests that the 1-6 beep code is probably not a memory error.
Other things that are checked include the video, cpu & bios.

If the post test was failing on something which is checked before the first 64k of ram, then removing the ram shouls make no difference to the beep code. This suggests in your case that everything upto & including the 64k test is passing. If the post test was failing on a check that takes place after the video check, then removing the video card should result in a different beep code (it doesn't). This means (in theory) that either the video check is failing, or some other check that occurs in between the 64k & the video check is failing.

I'm not ruling out the cpu or even the motherboard as being the culprit here, it just seems more likely that it's video related. This may not necessarily mean that the video card itself is the problem either - it could still be a fault with some part of the motherboard connected to the video controller or simply a case of the video card not being correctly fitted. It would of course have been helpful if you had the D-Bracket for the board, as this would give a more precise & conclusive diagnosis.

Before you RMA anything, it may be worth just double checking the cpu - i.e that the cpu & heatsink etc are correctly seated.
From what I understand, as you bought an open box motherboard, you have limited time in which to return it (as I'm sure you are aware) so obviously if you are going to RMA the board, you will need to do it now. It may not be a bad idea - from what I've read on Neweggs website, there do seem to be a lot of DOA boards.

b1ad3

b1ad3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
they are charging me 10 bucks shipping to return it.. so i think thats a waste because they let me return the card for free.. yea i checked the cpu about 8 times.. I took the video card out and tried without it got the same code as i did with it so i have a strong feeling its the card.

b1ad3

b1ad3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Newegg finally got my card. They said it was damaged. So I ordered a new card, hopefully everything works now

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, great. Let us know how you get on