Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista, Office 2003, and Microsoft updates

• Please log in to reply

julieg

julieg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums so I would first like to apologize if this issue has been discussed before, I tried to search for it but did not find my exact question.

I recently bought a new notebook computer with windows vista and planned on installing Microsoft Office 2003 (student teacher edition) on it to save some money. The salesman told me that I could install 2003, but starting in December I would no longer be able to get the microsoft updates for my vista machine....in order to continue with my updates he said I would have to install Office 2007.Does anyone know if this is true? I would be pretty disturbed if it is. I believe he specifically said I would have problems with the service pack.

Also, if I do purchase Office 2007, will I have trouble sharing documents with my XP desktop that has Office 2003? I.E. will I be able to create a document with 2007, save it on a USB, and then open it with 2003?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
do you mean that office 2003 won't get updates after dec 1 or just Windows Vista won't get updates. having office 2003 installed shouldn't stop vista from getting updates or auto updates (if set to auto update). I could maybe see not being able to get updates for office 2003 from microsoft after a certain date but you prolly don't need them anyways if office is running ok. and for the second question if you get 2007 will 2003 be able to open the files. I think what you have to do is when you save a file in 2007 there is an option to save it as a 2003 compatible file. unless theres another way someone else knows.

Andy9406

Andy9406

• Pip
  • 6 posts
There is now a converter package available from the Microsoft download site that allows Office 2007 documents etc to be opened via Office 2003

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
As far as I know Office 2003 support for Service Pack 1 is ending. Microsoft's Lifetime Support thing means that they support the prior edition for two to five years. Windows 2000 support just ended, and so did 98's back in 2005 (both were extended).
You should have no issues (except installing, which you might have an issue with... its random) running Office 2003 on Windows Vista.

As a suggestion, disable UAC TEMPORARILY when you install Office 2003, and renable it after you restart.