Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using live cd to secure

• Please log in to reply

mikhael

mikhael

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am not a Linux expert. I am far from it in fact. Heck I only just installed Ubuntu the other day. but I had a revelation shortly after playing with the live cd.
If I could get a live-cd with Truecrypt and Tor loaded into it. I could essentially have a computer run fully encrypted with no os on the Hard drive. This would have an end result of virtually no trace of data except for the encrypted "junk") left on the drive upon sutting down. Is this feasible?
I am surfing right now trying to find a way to get a live ubuntu loaded with my two favorite goodies, but the stuff I have seen as solutions involve deconstructing and reconstructing my live-cd. (to which I am not familiar on how to do.)

any ideas. I am a total Linux Newb and I don't know any commands. (treat me like the idiot windows user I am and explain things slowly)

My ultimate ideal is to carry a thumbdrive (or Live-cd but thumbdrive preferred) and my "dead" laptop. Plug in the thumbdrive/cd and it boots live ubuntu. open up truecrypt from the drive/cd and tada! my Laptops Harddrive comes to life. Shut down and it looks like the random data truecrypt meant it to be.

ok my rant is over. I am sure many have done this already and will find my idea to be that of a simpleton, but can someone please explain to me how to paint this monalisa with the 16 color box of crayons i have?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You would need to make an installation to your hard drive, install whatever you like and then remaster your installation to a CD or more likely a DVD, then remove the hard drive installation.

mikhael

mikhael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
That is the thing I do not know how to do. I can easily open up the .iso of a live cd, and i can also download truecrypt ect for that linux distro. but how to i put them all togeather to work. this way i can create a new .iso and thus a live cd with truecrypt and some other tools ready to go.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

but can someone please explain to me how to paint this monalisa with the 16 color box of crayons i have?

Sorry, but you're going to need to learn how to make a few more colours...

If you want to fit the OS on your thumb drive, then why don't you look at a different distro, such as Puppy Linux or DSL?