Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

web hosting which one?

• Please log in to reply

i love bubbles

i love bubbles

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
hey ive been trying to choose a webhost but i dont know why one offers so much for space for the same amount of money.
https://www.bluehost.com/ against www.1and1.com. which one is better. is it better to go the bluehost so i dont have to upgrade in the future?
thanks

Edited by i love bubbles, 02 July 2007 - 10:34 PM.

Advertisements

Macs Suck

Macs Suck

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well i'm not that great at those web hosting things but, that is kind of wierd. If one hosting service gives you better stuff for the same price as the one that gives you less stuff... I don't know. I think you should go with a web hosting service that you might know like Yahoo or something else that you might know. It may be a little more expensive but to be safe. You never know if they are scaming you or something like that. I would recommend researching those web hosting services. You should make sure that they are reliable. But there are tons of web hosting services out there! So start researching and make sure you aren't being ripped off, that the company you know is reliable, and the hosting service gives you enough storage, bandwith transfer, and all that good stuff. So good luck! :whistling:

i love bubbles

i love bubbles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
thanks for that. ill look around and try for some more :whistling:

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I had a webhosting plan with godaddy.com and was very pleased with them. at the time they had the best hosting packages for the price. Not sure about today, there's probably better hosts by now but figured I'd mention them if you haven't already checked them out. also, you might want to look into the specs of the servers the hosting company uses. you may get a better price but lower performance. anyways, good luck.

i love bubbles

i love bubbles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok, with out sounding too stupid. how do i go about finding out there specs and what am actually needing to look for? if thats too hard to explain.
but thanks ill try godaddy and see what they have.

Macs Suck

Macs Suck

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I need to know how many web sites your planning on hosting, what content that would be on the website (Memory wise.. If you have videos that takes more memory than regular text), what you would be transfering from your website to the person using the website. GoDaddy is a good service actually I forgot to mention that and they are VERY reliable. And also you need to have a domain name too(example: www.yourdomainhere.com) But to answer your question go to www.godaddy.com and they have everything you need to know about specs. But if your content on your website has a lot of videos, flash, and lots of stuff that take up a lot of memory I suggest a lot of space. But you probably don't need to much space if your hosting just one of your websites. But if you are hosting a lot of websites i would recommend getting somewhat a lot of memory. And also watch out on those web hosting services (I don't think Go Daddy But I don't know) they might have hidden fees, they might charge you stuff without you knowing! So always check that and also some web hosting services charge you less if you use them for a certain time for like a year or two. But I think you should research a lot harder than just Go Daddy. But remember follow my intructions, (the ones I posted in the begining) look at everything and don't get scammed!

i love bubbles

i love bubbles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok the site is only really goin to be used for advertising and some photos to sell some things. so banners, lots of links and photos.

Macs Suck

Macs Suck

• Pip
  • 9 posts
how long are you gona keep the website runnin????????

i love bubbles

i love bubbles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
as long as it keeps making me money lol umm no well atleast 2 years at this point and maybe longer. i dont think i will be putting more then that on it ( like no clips, movies, songs etc).

Macs Suck

Macs Suck

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Then use Go Daddy and pick the lamest one. and make sure it goes for two years. (There are options for that the more years you use them the lower the price goes) If you want a www.whateveryouwanttoputhere.com then, Go Daddy has a domain name service too. It's about $10.00 a year for a domain name.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
If it's a small website, use FreePgs, if it's for a large website, use CrucialWebHost

P.S. Use this coupon to get 50% off CurcialWebHost, "h36g2g25"

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

hey ive been trying to choose a webhost but i dont know why one offers so much for space for the same amount of money.
https://www.bluehost.com/ against www.1and1.com. which one is better. is it better to go the bluehost so i dont have to upgrade in the future?
thanks

Setting up a web server has become simplistic these days. Personally, for all of my servers (all located in my room) I use a program called "Xampp". Extremely easy to use, and very straight forward. Comes with tons of options; not to mention the only one making restrictions, is you. If you want to get hard core, you can always use a unix based system that is light on user functionality or system resources, such as: Debian, Slackware, BSD or Xubuntu (etcetera, etcetera).