Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

directv

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hi, I was wondering if I can get some help out here. I have had directv for about 75 days now. I've noticed when there is slight rain and thunder I lose reception. This has happened 3 times during the time I've had directv. Should this be happening and is there something that can be done about it? I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
directTV is a satellite service...which means it's line of sight....so it has to have a direct open view of the area of the sky where the satelite is going to be....sometimes when you install a satelite dish you forget about that tree in the corner that's not in the way on the nice sunny day you chose to get on your roof...but is TOTALLY in the way when it's pouring rain with a 30mph wind blowing...and sometimes the rain itself (if it's hard enough) will interupt the signal as the water reflects and bends it on it's way from space to your house....

it shouldn't happen during a light rain or a day without wind...but if it's a heavy rain and alot of wind...i'd expect the signal to degrade pretty quick

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Man dsenette you beat me to this post…. We could have had some fun with this one. I was going to say

“ the first time it rained I stood out there with an umbrella over the dish and my wife told me the picture was better, so I have since staked the umbrella down in the yard and its been better ever since”

I bet a few people would have went along with it :whistling:

Any way dsenette pretty much covered it; it’s really pretty easy for the signal to get messed up. I have found people with the dish wall mounted on the side of the house or even on the roof usually get the best reception.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
or...

You must have your dish installed upside down and its collecting water, turn it over

:whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Does Weather Affect My DIRECTV Signal?

During your professional installation, eXpert installers will optimally place your dish, minimizing lost signals during inclement weather. DIRECTV reception is highly reliable year-round, nationwide. DIRECTV service is only minimally affected by extreme weather conditions, but it always returns quickly and clearly. On average, DIRECTV customers only lose signal for 15 minutes a year total - compared to cable outages which can last hours or even days at a time.

from the directTV FAQ Here....yeah...right

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I had an LNB which let water in, signal went if the air was moist

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
My Dish Network never goes down, not in the highest of winds or the heaviest of rain. One time, it got fuzzy, so I went out on the deck and knocked almost a foot of snow off it. Other than that, for about 5 years now, I have always had great service.

Its all in your installer, if you get a good one, you wont have problems, if you get a bad one...

Wait until a clear, calm day, and check your signal strength. If its not 100%, call your installer and tell them to get back out there and do it right.