Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice

• Please log in to reply

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Currently I have a TV Tuner card on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. With this I am able to pause, rewind during live TV. Which is rather nice since I detest commercials and being able to pause it for about 15 minutes allows me to then rewind to beg and then FF commercials. I've been reading about Vista and so far I'm not impressed with it due to the huge amount of people having problems, but, I am curious - if someone has Vista Premium would they be able to watch live TV the way I can now? Someone told me a TV Tuner card is not needed because Vista does it differently. Is that true and if so, could someone please explain it to me. Can Vista Premium with TV Tuner run smoothly with 1GB RAM?

Thanks alot for any/all help

Advertisements

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes, you would need a TV Tuner card to watch live broadcasts. With Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate, you can pause, record and such like you can now.

I've watched live TV on 512 GB of ram, but its more the processing thats the issue. Your CPU and GPU are where you'll need the power.

As far as issues go... these vary and are often times (in my opinion and experience) avoidable. Don't upgrade until you know everything is supported. You can't just install old versions of some programs. Its kinda like putting a 66 corvet window into the 72. It would work, but not fit right. A clean install (meaning the drive is formatted clean, and you must put your files back from a DVD or CD) would fix a lot of issues people have. Upgrading registries like Vista must do in an upgrade is a bad idea. Its worth the time for a clean install, trust me,

Other issues are drivers. I'm honestly shocked and supried at how fast come companies are coming on board and supporting products for both Vista 32 and 64 bit. (Finally 64 bit!). But older computers, espically by large manufactures, aren't seeing their drivers being updated. This is an issue. One that can be forseen before moving, but I'll type that up later if you are interested in Vista at a later date.

Edited by Cybertimber2007, 11 July 2007 - 10:00 PM.