Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

differences between 2 specific hard drives

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
im planning on getting 4 SATA II drives to run in a RAID 0 array. my plan was to get 4 80 gig Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD drives.

ive been using 2 of these drives in a RAID 0 array for about 2 years, but the drives i currently have only run at SATA I speeds, so i need to get 4 new drives.

i called western digital just to ask them a few things about the drives, and the tech i spoke to seemed pretty new, but he went and asked his supervisor a question or 2 and came back on the phone and said that the Caviar SE class of drives wasnt designed to run in a RAID array, that i should get something from their Caviar RE series.

can someone tell me what the relevant difference are between the 2 types of drives? i read about them on Western Digital's web site, but i didnt quite understand why one would be superior to the other. the obvious differences to me were:

-the size, the smallest RE class drive available is 160 gigs, where i was just planning to go with 80 gig SE class drives, 4 80 gig hard drives in a RAID 0 would make one 320 gig C drive. Way more then enough for me, i have other mirrored RAID sets that hold my pictures and personal things. currently theres about 20 gigs on my C drive.

-and the price. the RE drives cost about 20 dollars more, and buying 4 of them it seems like a significant amount of money. especially since i havent had any problems at all with the RAID array that i currently have set up with 2 Caviar SE WD800JD drives. (of course the ones im currently using are SATA I with a 1.5 transfer rate and the ones im getting are going to be SATA II with a 3.0 transfer rate)

id love some insight into this before i go out and spend an extra 80 dollars

thanks for your help

-Josh

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
This pdf document on the extra benefits provided by the RE (Raid Edition) drives on the WD website may answer your question if you haven't already seen it: http://www.wdc.com/e...2879-001119.pdf

And compare that with the specs of the SE drives: http://www.wdc.com/e...2879-001146.pdf

As I'm sure you know, that's not to say you can't use SE drives in raid configuration, but it's your call.