Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel boosts Extreme range

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Intel has boosted its Core 2 Extreme processor lineup with new quad-core processors for desktop PCs and the first Extreme-branded laptop CPU.

The chipmaker announced on Monday that its new flagship desktop processor would be the Core 2 Extreme QX6850 ($999 or £488), which is clocked at 3.0GHz and sports a 1333MHz system bus speed. The QX6850 is being pitched particularly at game developers, as the CPU can dedicate one core to physics, the second to rendering, the third to game logic and the fourth to miscellaneous tasks.

Also announced was another quad-core processor, the Core 2 Quad Q6700 ($530; £259) — clocked at 2.66GHz and with a system bus speed of 1066MHz — and several new dual-core processors boasting the new 1333MHz bus speed.

What was a first was the announcement of the first mobile processor to bear Intel's Extreme branding, the Core 2 Extreme X7800 ($851; £416).

According to Intel, the X7800 has a 28 percent performance increase over the Core Duo T2600

http://uk.news.yahoo...ge-20a87fa.html

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Only downfall to the higher end mobile chips is that they have a TDP of 44watts instead of the typical 35 watts. Which will result in a large loss of battery time, still I can't wait to get my hands on one of these next month when I buy my laptop. Also, for anyone who is interested, there is around a 1% performance increase between 1333FSB and 1066FSB, toms hardware has proved this, I don't expect to see any difference unless you have a 3 GPU setup, quad core and everything is working near 100%.
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 July 2007 - 10:42 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Core 2 Extreme QX6850 ($999 or £488), which is clocked at 3.0GHz and sports a 1333MHz system bus speed

I WANT ONE!!!!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol, I'm jumping on the Q6600 - at the end of the summer as I'm not going to be touching my computer much in augest as I'll be FARMING!....... 3000 acres. Yippie! :whistling: Can't wait to get my hands on that and a Thermaltech 120 extreme to overclock :blink:
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 July 2007 - 10:21 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
1% Are you joking??? :whistling:

Is that Even with the new DDR3??? running 1-to-1?

can i have the link to that review??

i was thinking of purchasing an E6750 with DDR3

Troppo

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Does anyone know if the prices of the core2duos will go down much?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you can't wait till tomorrow here are the rough estimates.
http://www.anandtech...l...?i=3038&p=2
I don't recommend getting DDR3 right now as it has loose timing which should be greatly improved by the time christmas comes around also the price doesn't justify the small performance increase.
James