Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP behind NAT

• Please log in to reply

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hey Everyone.

Im on a 10M LAN network. It so fast that I want o set up and FTP server using IIS for myself and my friends. The problem is I'm behind a NAT. I 'cannot' do anything to the router - cant enable/disbale port forwarding etc. cause i don't have access. Is there 'any' way i can set up and FTP and also stuff like Remote desktop. Someone told me something about some application Hamachi, I have absolutely no clue what that is! With so many people behind NAT these days, i guess there must be a solution. This is one time I really really need geek help. I'm tearing my hair out in frustration. All the tutorials i read online try to over simplify the scenario by using cliches such as 'port-forwarding'. Not everyone has NAT/router access.

Cheers!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you talked with the network administrator about this? That seems like the right thing to do in a case like this. They can give you guidance and tell you whether it is allowed.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
"Not everyone has NAT/router access."

Hmmm.....

See Tyger's reply. :whistling:

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Your network admin probably has this set for a very specific reason... if every Joe set up a FTP behind the NAT or had the ability to do so it would jeopardize the security of the network.

Your only real course is to speak with the net admin and see if he will allow it. If not, any other course would be unethical and could get you into some trouble.

The FTP port is a VERY common port and opening it up creates a huge can of worms most net admins want to avoid like the plague.

You can specify a different port but again, this requires net admin privileges.