Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can we improve Geeks to Go?

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Bring back the geek talk forum it was a great place to ask low priority tech questions such as how it works or what would happen if. but basically it was a good information resource with a casual atmosphere

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There really wan't enough participation to make it a viable forum. However, I understand the need you describe and we may consider alternatives in the future.

Barbarian

Barbarian

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
I see that there are many threads in which the user has started with a log file of ComboFix, acted alone and running ComboFix, because the user saw it somewhere. There is something useful that I saw in BleepingComputer about that and I think that's a good idea to be added here too. I mean the thread titled: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here. The idea is to explain the details to the user why is not recommended to use ComboFix without assistance. Everywhere mention that this is a powerful tool, but I think when the thread is more widely explained would have more meaning.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Nice thought, but Combofix is downloaded over 1 million times a month. Bleeping, despite being the home of the Combofix guide and download has only 70,000 views on that topic which is over 2 years old.

Most people see Combofix recommended in a topic on this forum and others, then they download and run it without proper knowledge of how to use it, or what it does. As long as the developer chooses to keep details of Combofix restricted to private forums, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Barbarian

Barbarian

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
Thanks for your answer, admin!

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
didn't the combofix being potentialy dangerous rumor come from that virus way back that tricked it into trashing your computer ? or am i thinking about another tool.

but regardless i have never seen combofix kill a computer dead unless the virus had already deleted and replaced system files

but as for the developer keeping combofix in a private forum i can kinda understand why he would want to do that. if he just released developement details than virus makers could steal parts of the code and make more effective scamware that is combofix proof

Edited by mikeloeven, 03 January 2012 - 07:24 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The developer himself would prefer that Combofix not be run except under the guidance of a helper. It's not due to rumors, it's due to the fact that it is a very powerful tool and it can be dangerous to run it if you don't know what you're doing.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
just a question i didn't think i should open a new topic for it

i wanted to Know if the Technical school is still available and how can i apply for it ?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
No it's not, but it may reappear again in some form. Discussions are ongoing.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
thanks please shoot me a Pm when it begins if that's possible

thanks for the help

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The technical school is different from GeekU. While we can teach people how to remove malware in GeekU, Tech Academy was designed for people that already had skill in resolving technical issues, whether it's networking, applications, operating systems, etc. Therefore, candidates were invited to Tech Academy based on the fact that they showed experience and capability in answering questions. There was not an application process, the way there is for GeekU. While nothing is decided yet, that part of the process may not change. We are not equipped to teach specific areas of technology, so Tech Academy is designed to help people improve their responses to people, not teach them how to reply to specific technical areas.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

It would be nice to have a link at the top for Newbies, or just ppl who are not extremely computer savvy, so that we could quickly look up answers to problems such as:  Not getting answers to our questions, or how to post questions in right place, or one very big one----how do we show that we still need a solutions even though our posts show that there were replies?  Also, how do we view our post among all the other posts to see what it looks like in line with them?  I have been a member for quite some time now, but I definitely am not a Geek, but not a newbie either.  I still don't know how to navigate around in this site either.

I posted a question a few days ago, and only one response which was no help.  How do I make my post appear urgent now??  Here it is:  http://www.geekstogo...btcomauthpwdtb/

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

1. I would love to see a better mobile interface for this site. I know tapatalk was abandoned for various reasons but currently the mobile site feels like it's difficult to navigate. Not as smooth flowing as it could be. You know?

2. I just saw the question about the Technical School and am sorry I missed out by a few years. I'm currently studying to be an IT Professional and having insights from others that are already so well versed in technical issues would be beneficial to me as well as others, I'm sure. Although just reading topics of others problems and solutions has given me some great information.

Regardless, I'm loving this community. Thanks!

Edited by hazard209, 10 November 2014 - 04:04 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Great feedback, thanks! And I agree. Forums have been very slow to adopt responsive design, especially the forum software we use. Thankfully that is all due to change soon. What is responsive design? It's being able to view the same content and design, regardless of screen size.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Anytime! Responsive design sounds awesome. I'm a phone/tablet forum dweller and the change, for me at least, is highly anticipated. Thanks for the prompt response!