Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not delete files (Apple, MAC OS X, PowerMac G4)

• Please log in to reply

KtC Angel of Peace

KtC Angel of Peace

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Alright, so as the topic description pretty much says, I've got a few problems.

It started last night when it said that there was no more space for me to get my messages from my mail client. Every time I tried to even open up the mail client, I just couldn't and it would always quit giving me this message

Mail cannot update your mailboxes because your home directory is full.

You must free up space in your home folder before using Mail. Delete unneeded documents or move documents to another volume.

So I tried to do that, getting rid of Podcasts and other text files to give me more free up more than the 29.48 GB it says I have available at the bottom in Machintosh HD. However, then I found out another problem, I couldn't.

This was pretty late at night, so I shut this down and went to sleep and when I woke up, still not luck on opening mail, and so I tried to delete the podcast files and I tried to delete the text files, however, they would not be moved into the trash! Now maybe this will say something, that when I first tried to log in, it said I could not access my log in profile the first time, though afterwards I was able to.

So here I am, stuck with files that can not be deleted. I am able to delete things in my applications folder, but nothing else. Whenever I open up iTunes, I am unable to get anything to work because

The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occured (-50).

Safari and Adium still work, along with other internet things.

Also when trying to load up things using Microsoft Word, I've gotten this error

"file.doc" is being used by "another user". Do you want to make a copy?

If I say yes I get this message.

Word cannot open the exsisting original template.
(Normal)

Never had that before either.

Along with that I don't here that "dum" sound when I load up, and it has taken quite a few times/few long times before this mac starts to load up.

Oh yeah, and about deleting files, I can't move them into the trash bin, and when I try to do so, it makes the sound that they are being moved, but they are not being moved over there.

Adobe Updater is also giving me this

" Write Permission error. The download cannot be saved to users/me/Documents/Updater5 because you do not have permission to create a file there. Make sure you have the proper permissions and then click Retry. Otherwise, click CHange Location."

Well retrying doesn't work and I don't have another location, there is only one profile on here.

Lots of stuffs going on, and I hope this can help someone help me. I'm just really confused and anything would really help, thanks =P =)

~KtC Angel of Peace
For the Lord....[Psalm 23]

P.S. I don't know if this has to do anything with it, but I also get this sometimes when browsing around here

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
The request line contained invalid characters following the protocol string.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.geekstogo.com Port 80

Yeah, *Shrugs*

Thanks again!

P.P.S

Also just found out that I am unable to bookmark this as well!

There is a problem saving your bookmarks

Safari Encountered a problem while saving your bookmarks.

Yeap, just passing on more information! Thanks again! =D =P

Edited by KtC Angel of Peace, 26 July 2007 - 08:53 AM.

Advertisements

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I think most of your problems are caused by your lack of hard drive space... If you do have any items in your trash, just hold down on the trash can then click "Empty Trash" If you still cannot drag those problem files to the trash once you have freed up a little space by doing what I said... I suggest you try to use "terminal.app" to delete them. You will have to use Google to find directions for this. Once you have freed up space on your mac if your apps still don't work, I would try to reinstall them.

Good luck!

KtC Angel of Peace

KtC Angel of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
MY question would be then, if it is really hardware space that is causing this problem, why am I unable to move things to the trash bin to delete?

If I need to delete things off of my computer, why can't I? =P =)

KtC Angel of Peace

KtC Angel of Peace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Looking now to try to find out and googling it, I have no idea what to goolge, and thus I'm not finding anything that is helping me. PLEASE someone help me...

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Try reading this article on deleting files:
http://docs.info.app...l?artnum=106272
Or try to use the terminal to delete the files. Also... I would try to call apple or try one of these two more mac related forums...
http://discussions.apple.com/
http://forum.maccast.com/