Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Three Windows Vista Problems

• Please log in to reply

BlackIce

BlackIce

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello everyone. I recently got a new computer with Windows Vista Premium 32 bit installed on it. I've managed to iron out most of the bugs, but three relatively large ones remain.

Issue One: The computer will sometimes refuse to open a given program. Firefox, CCleaner, and Windows Media Player are the most common victims, but other programs have had this same problem. If I go into the task manager, I see that the program in question is already "running", albeit using a very small amount of memory (often around 56 or 64 KB). If I try to end the process, it gives me the usual confirmation message, and after confirming that I want to stop the process, does nothing; the process remains on the list. In addition, each time I try to start the program again, another identical entry appears in the task manager, always using the exact same amount of memory. This effectively forces me to restart me computer just to use the program, which, obviously, is very annoying, to say the least. Are there any known solutions to this?

Issue Two: The computer will often not restart, shut down, log off, etc. Logging off works more often than shutting down or restarting - when it doesn't, my computer will just stay at the "Logging Off" screen forever. Shutting down is the same way - if I manage to get past the "Logging Off" screen, I'm faced with the "Shutting Down" screen, which tends to get stuck far more often than "Logging Off". I once shut down my computer at ten PM - twelve hours later, it was still "Shutting Down", and I had to press the reset button (on my case).

Issue Three: Crashed windows. This is the most annoying problem of them all (by a small margin, however). Quite often, a window will lock up - putting my cursor over it yields the "thinking" cursor animation, and nothing within the window responds. I can continue to open, close, and use other windows easily, but when I close the broken window, everything disappears - other windows, icons, the start menu, the task bar, everything, leaving me staring at my wallpaper. I can use Control+Alt+Delete to open the relevant screen, from where I can attempt to shut down, but, due to problem two, I often have to give it a reset, via the case, to get back to work.

I hope I have been descriptive enough to help you help me with my issues. Any help is, of course, welcome. I have some computer experience, enough to find my way around most programs, but I'd still appreciate detailed instruction - I know how finicky computers can be.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Just a bit of trouble shooting:

1. How much memory do you Have?
2. Are your drivers up to date and compatible?
3. Does the bios need to be updated?

BlackIce

BlackIce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
1. 2GB of DDR2. My other specs:
Processor: C2Q Q6600
Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
Graphics: EVGA 8800 GTS 640
Hard Drive: 320 GB Seagate Barracuda
Antec Nine Hundred Gamer Case

2. Video and Audio drivers have been updated.

3.This computer is only a month old - I doubt the bios is out of date already.

Thanks for the help so far.

CycleRob

CycleRob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here's the most important sentence he said:

I recently got a new computer with Windows Vista Premium 32 bit installed on it.

What happens after that should have been smooth sailing as an improved GUI is made your new favorite.

M$ would have to include 2 DVD's if XP Pro or XP MCE were added as additional alternate OS installs. After using Vista Premium and surfing while typing this now on my old XP machine, I would pay the extra $12 for such an option.

BlackIce

BlackIce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I absolutely agree, Windows Vista is just a ploy to get our cash. Besides the new UI, I have had only problems with this new OS. The most severe problem is issue 2 - my computer failing to restart or shut down. I really, really need help - are there any known fixes?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Go to "Power Options" via the control panel
Click on "choose what the power buttons do".... If you see 'hybernate' when the off button is pressed...change it.

BlackIce

BlackIce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry, it already says "shut down" in that field. Thanks for the idea though. Any others?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you press F8 for the safe mode menu, you should also have an option to test the memory. Everything you describe can be explained by bad RAM.

Next, you're running a quad core processor on a fairly new mobo. I'm bet there is a BIOS update available.

Finally, there will be a "mini service pack" for Vista on Windows update, likely in the next couple of weeks. It doesn't address any of your specific topics, but may still resolve some of them.

BlackIce

BlackIce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for your help, but F8 asks me which device I want to boot from (Optical Drive or Hard Disk). I see no option for memory tests, or safe mode. Is there any other way to test my RAM?

I have confirmed that a BIOS update is unnecessary; according to http://support.asus......del=P5N-E SLI, my processor, in revision B3, has been supported since version 0117; I have version 0602, and a revision B3 processor, so I'm in the clear. Both these facts were confirmed by both my BIOS settings, and CPU-Z.

Thanks for the help so far, you guys are great.

Edited by BlackIce, 06 August 2007 - 07:35 PM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
See if you can test the memory by following these instructions:
http://www.howtogeek...iagnostic-tool/

Advertisements

BlackIce

BlackIce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks again, I ran the test, and watched it the whole way through, twice, just to be sure. But alas, my memory is perfect.

Thus far, we've ruled out BIOS updates (I'm pretty sure), anything related to memory, and drivers.

Anything else I can try?

BlackIce

BlackIce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Does this mean I'm stuck waiting for a Vista update? :whistling:

There has to be something I haven't tried yet.

Matthewrdot

Matthewrdot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It could be something to do with our motherboards. I also have the ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard, and I experience exactly the same problem (In fact, that's how I found your post, google)

-Matt

BlackIce

BlackIce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Interesting. I finally got around to updating my BIOS from 602 to 608 - I suggest you do the same, as I haven't had any problems since updating. Then again, I've only been using my computer for an hour or so with the new BIOS, but I'll see how it goes. Also, visit these links: http://support.micro...kb/938979/en-us and http://support.micro...kb/938194/en-us . These two updates helped me greatly - the stuck program problem (issue 1) hasn't happened since, and my computer seems to preform faster, so see if that helps. Sorry I can't give you any real solutions - I'm here on the same level you are.

Good luck. :whistling:

Edited by BlackIce, 22 August 2007 - 01:32 PM.

BlackIce

BlackIce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
All three problems persist. Come on, tech support, it's not just me that's suffering! We need help!