Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply

kharley

kharley

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I am using my sister's computer right to try and get some ideas what my computers problem is. I can get it to load but sometimes when I restart or shut it down when it trys to load back up it tells me there is no operating system found. I have tried to reformat it when it does this but then it tells me no harddrive found. I hooked it up yesterday to see if it was even going to come on and I got this message at the bottom, ERROR 2BO Diskette Drive A ERROR and thats all it says about the error. In order for the windows to load up I have to press the F2 key. Can anybody PLEASE give me some suggestions on what it is or how to fix it. I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I am disabled and my computer is my life, Thank you. :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Have you checked that the cables that are in the computer? All you need to do is to disconnect the power cable. Open the case and look at the cables now push the connection back in place.
Now try and reboot.

If this does not work try and reset the bios. The way to do this is to open the case (disconnect power first.) take out the battery it looks like in the picturePosted Image
wait about 5 min then put it all back together. Boot the computer don't wory if there is a checksum error or it tells you to enter the bios. Enter the bios and there should be a lable exit that has an option to load optimal settings. Choose this and see what happens.

If you have the inforamtion about the computer it could help if you post it.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I am sorry it took me so long to try what you suggested but between living at doctors offices lately and this thing acting up I have just got it done. I did try what you told me but it still does the same thing I am at my witts end I dont know what else to try. I was hoping maybe you had another suggestion, I will be the first to admit i'm an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff, Thank you.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have tried all the suggestions I have been given so I got aggravated and formatted my hard drive and started from scratch thinking this might help, NOT. When the system needed to reboot to finish windows I still had to hit F2 to start the windows, I made sure to read the screen to see what it say's and it was the same error 2BO: Diskette A Error and it said my BIOS is shadowed is that the way it's supposed to be, Thank you.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi kharley

Can you please confirm for me:
1) That after pressing the F2 key, windows does in fact load normally & work
2) The manufacturer & if possible, the model number or name of your computer. If the computer has nothing written on the front of it all, then it's probably a generic but otherwise, let me know what it says.

Next, I want you to try & get into the bios. To do this, power on the system & wait for the light on the monitor to turn from amber to green. The second it turns green, you need to press a key. This is normally one of the following:
DEL, F1, F2, F10, ESC

Try one of these (eg DEL key). If the system doesn't go into the bios & instead gives you that usual message about pressing F2 to continue, then instead of pressing F2, press CTRL, ALT, DEL keys simultaneously to reboot the system.
On reboot, repeat the procedure again but try a different key.

NB when you reach the point where it asks you to press F2, have a look to see if there are any other options. E.G it may say to press a different key to enter the system setup (bios). If so, then this is the key you need.

If you manage to get into the bios (system setup screen), have a look at the top of the screen. You should see a name such as AWARD, PHOENIX, AMI or a computer manufacter name such as DELL, COMPAQ etc. Let me know what it says. Once you've made a note of the name you can exit the bios for now. I will ask you to go back into it shortly but for now just let me know as many of the answers as possible to the questions I have asked so far.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK yes it does seem to work normally after I press F2 it seems to be a little slower but not bad, my system is a HP Pavillion a335w, and in the BIOS the name at the top of the screen is Phoenix, I hope this helps, Thank you.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, go back into the bios. As it's a Pheonix bios, you should see a menu as the first screen. Select the first entry in the menu (normally 'Standard CMOS features' or 'Main something or other'.
Somewhere on the screen you should see an entry called 'Halt on'. There will then be the option to change the value of 'Halt on' to one of the following:
All errors, No errors, All but disk/key etc etc

Change this to NO ERRORS.

While you are on the same screen, also look for the Floppy Drive (Drive A) settings. This should be set to 1.4M 3.5in if you actually have a floppy drive. If there is no floppy in your system, then this should be set to None (or disabled).

When you're finished press ESC to go back to the main menu, then select the SAVE CHANGES & EXIT option.

As this is an HP system, I can't guarantee that the settings if told you to look for will actually be there. And if they are, they may be worded slightly differently. What I've told you to look for is correct for a Pheonix bios however so just try it see.

Let me know if you have any problems.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok I went into my BIOS but there was no Halt on no where on there,checked my floppy settings and it's set to 1.44 3.5, Boot time diognostics disabled, quick boot enabled, and the boot priority is CD-Rom, Hard drive, Network boot. I sure hope this makes sense to you I am not good at this technical stuff but i'm trying to learn, Thank you for all your help even if we cant figure it out.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, no problem.
It certainly looks like the problem is with the floppy drive. At this point, you have 2 options.

(1) if you don't really use the floppy drive anyway, then try going back into the bios, find the floppy settings again & change it from 1.4M 3.5in to NONE (or disabled). Remember to save the changes before leaving the bios.

OR

(2) If you do use the floppy drive & therefore need it to work, then you'll have to find out whats wrong with it. First thing to check is the cabling - disconnect power, open side of computer case up & locate the ribbon cable that connects the floppy drive to the motherboard. Initially just make sure that the cable is securely connected at both ends. There will be a narrow plastic plastic connector at either end of the cable. (see image below)

DIY_Floppy08.jpg

You need to press on both ends of the connector (where I've marked a red X) to make sure it's firmly seated. Repeat this at the other end of the ribbon cable as well.
Next check that the power connector (next to the ribbon cable) is firmly connected to the back of the floppy drive.

Let me know how you get on so far

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I checked both the ribbon and the plug both seem to be tight I even put another ribbon on but not that either I dont guess, could it possibly be the power connector. I looked at the plugs while I was in there and there are 2 of them I dont know if they are the same though. They look exactlly alike the same color of wires they just have different numbers on them one is P6 and one is P8 could I try the P8 or is it that for something else other than the floppy. I am sorry for being so much trouble but I appreciate all your help, Thank you. :whistling:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If the 2 power plugs look idential, then they probably are.
This is probably a stupid question, but if you attempt to use the floppy drive once windows had loaded, does it work?

If it doesn't, then the floppy drive itself is probably toast.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
No I tried to save a letter I typed to be able to print it later but it kept telling me to insert a disk.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, then I would say that the drive has had it. Your best bet for now is to simply unplug it i.e. disconnect the ribbon cable from the motherboard (or remove cable completely) & disconnect the power from the rear of the drive.

If you still get an error message on boot up, then you'll need to go into the bios & set the A drive setting to NONE or DISABLED.

If you wish to buy a replacement floppy drive & want help installing it, just let me know.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thank you for all your help I guess I will be buying a new floppy, Thanks again very much.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome :)