Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Exceptianaly long bootup ? ?

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How is start up if you choose safe mode

Download, install and run Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Keith,,
Downloaded the tune up software,,disc clean freed up 2.3gb of space, registry clean found 305 errors which it fixed.

Tried starting in safe mode,,, same problem mate,, takes ages to eventualy get to the desktop...

Another new problem has developed as well !! :whistling:

When i clicked the link in the email from geeks informing me of your reply,, internet explorer started acting very weird.
Instead of just directing me to the geeks site and the topic,, it decided to open up tab, after tab after tab trying to connect to the topic,,,,56 to be correct.

Couldnt even close em down,, had to do a hard restart.
Tried the same thhing again on reboot.
From the same email,, the link opened upanother 36 tabs trying to connect.
After another hard restart,, i just tried going to geeks from my favorites list, and it just opened up the page without all the replications.

It appears this problem is only from following a link in an email,,, i am running office outlook 2007.
This problem has only just started since using the clean up software i downloaded.

Pc is definetly quicker at opening pages etc,, ,,just the bootup is just as it was before the reformat.

This shouldnt be happening,, its a fresh install,, my 2 hardives have 69% and 76% free ,,,

Am truly puzzled...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply

Restart the PC

Check nothing connects to the internet unless you manually start the firewall and anti virus programmes

If it starts quicker, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, tick the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes, click apply then restart the PC

Do any programmes run a scan at start up?

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
The tab replication thing seems to have been solved !!!!

If you single click the link in the email,, it works fine and goes to the link,,

If you Double click the link,,, it just opens up tab after tab after tab,,,

Will have to remember to only single click links :whistling:

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Ran prefetch, and deleted all the pages...

Ran msconfig,, and disabled all start up objects,, rebooted,,, Still took ages to boot up to the dektop stage ???

We are now shutting down without any hangs, or end program messages,,, its just the start up.

Have gone into set up and changed the OEM compage page to the post page.
I now have the americam megatrends page appear when i boot up,, sheds a little more light i think ??

The page opens as soon as you turn on the pc,, the boot page( now displaying cpu, memory and bois date info) stays frozen for 30 secs or so, then exactly the same time as the screen changes to show the boot order, devices, etc,,the cpu goes into overload,, and stays that way untill about 10 secs after xp starts to load.
Once loaded,, everything appears to be fine and running as it should ?????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could boot to set up and load the BIOS defaults or fail safe defaults, press F10 to save then type Y to confirm and press enter to restart

What is the total load time now?

Is it the same from a cold start or a restart

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Keith,,,
Have done as you suggested,, loded the bios defaults,, but its still the same.

How long to boot up,,,,well

Compaq OEM screen ( with F key options ) comes on and stays on for 65 seconds.

Cpu fan goes into overload about 40 secs into this OEM screen, then a blank ,black screen apeears ( cpu fan still going some).
This screen stays on for 30 secs,, then windowws xp starts to load,, about 20 secs into this the fan noise dissapears, and then another blank, black screen for 30 seconds,, then the windows welcome page opens up with its jingle,, then everything seems to load at the speed i would expect.

All in all from pushing the on button, to getting to the first veiw of the desktop,,,,,roughly about three, to three and a half minutes.
Used to load in less than half that time previously !! ???

Its this OEM screen thats the biggest culprit.
It used to come on for about10 or 12 seconds, , then windows would load up to the desktop veiw within a minute,,

I have 3.4GHZ Dual core processor,, over 2gb of Ram, and loads of space on my 2 drives,,, its a reasonably fast machine,, it shouldnt be taking this long to bootup.

Cheers,, kev.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED AT LAST ! ! !

By a process of elimination,,,( accidently actually :whistling: ),,i have found the culprit causing the very long bootup >>

ITs been a USB device problem all along, which explains why the problem presisted after reformatting,,and replacing the unreliable drive.

I have a DELL AXIM X51V connected to my pc at all times,,its sitting in its dock connected via usb to charge.

When trying to boot up,, with the axim being connected up, and turned off,,the pc must be searching for it as a generic loading device,,but doesnt know what it is,,,, ,, hence the hang and long delays.

With the pda,s usb cradle disconnected,,the pc boots up as it should,,,

Now to download the latest active sync to see if it resolves the issue when its connected ! ! !
Still dont know what changed to start this problem though,,, the pda has always been connected up ! ! !