Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sari's grammar thread

• Please log in to reply

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
A hotel or AN hotel..................

http://oxforddiction...istoric?view=uk

Perhaps my age is showing. ( must come to terms with this century. lol. )

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hmmm. Seems to be quite a gap in generations between Mr. deggitt and Ms. Vanessa13! I used to get shooed away from the table when the adults were having an adult conversation but I always learned so much about history when Gramps started his conversations with, "Do you remember when..."!

@ deggitt:

Your link in post #226 is very educational, I might add! :)

Here, have an hors d'oeuvre! (silent "h") :unsure:

What I found interesting in the link I provided in post # 224 was #6 concerning acronyms and other abbreviations.

The letter "M" in an acronym or abbreviation when spoken starts with an "E" sound. But if you spell out a word, such as Magnetic, it produces the "M" sound.

Examples:

The Doctor has scheduled an MRI scan for me on Tuesday.

The Doctor has scheduled a Magnetic Resonance Imaging scan for me on Tuesday.

Very interesting my dear Watson!

:)

Edited to correct spelling...mae culpa! :yes:

Edited by DonnaB, 28 August 2011 - 05:18 PM.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Thanks little Ms. Congeniality,

Great link:

"When "u" sounds like "y" in "you", or "o" sounds like "w" in "one", then use "a". For example, "a user-friendly device" or "a one man show."

I don't even want to know how many times I wrote an user, thinking that sounded stupid :)

:unsure:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

After reading the 15 pages, my question was not answered... :yes:
I read some really funny comments, it was totally worth it! :unsure:

Is it

• "a_ (by using P2P applications) infected user"
or
  • "an (by using P2P applications) infected user" ???

Thanks in advance :)

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know whether to use "a" or "an", but in this case, you have the parenthesized portion of the sentence in there? In that case, you would probably be best off rewriting the sentence! Technically,however, it would be "a", because the next word begins with a consonant. A less awkward way to handle this would be to write:

• A user who is infected due to the use of P2P applications
or

• A user who who is infected by using P2P programs.

To provide more explanation for something else I brought up with you, and which is also a common mistake for non-native English speakers, is the difference between "advise" and "advice". Advice is a noun; you can offer someone advice, but you cannot advice them. Advise is a verb, so you can advise someone to follow a course of action, but you cannot offer them advise.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know whether to use "a" or "an", but in this case, you have the parenthesized portion of the sentence in there? In that case, you would probably be best off rewriting the sentence! Technically,however, it would be "a", because the next word begins with a consonant. A less awkward way to handle this would be to write:

• A user who is infected due to the use of P2P applications
or

• A user who who is infected by using P2P programs. ;)

To provide more explanation for something else I brought up with you, and which is also a common mistake for non-native English speakers, is the difference between "advise" and "advice". Advice is a noun; you can offer someone advice, but you cannot advice them. Advise is a verb, so you can advise someone to follow a course of action, but you cannot offer them advise.

Not only is that the exact answer to my question, it mentions an (easy for me to make) mistake as well :)
You're advising me to use different sentences, without parentheses (forgot that word ;)) and I will remember that advice.
The time you posted your reply means even more to me, you can look over my shoulder any time! :yes: :unsure:

Thank you sari. :)

EDIT: There seem to be more people with sharp eyes around here :) :) (And it wasn't me :) )

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 29 August 2011 - 02:45 PM.

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
A lot and alot.
People tend to combine those two words into one word...
Though it may not be a major issue. o__o it just bothers me..
whether its because their too lazy to click the space bar or plainly just thought it was one word.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Educational and funny at the same time: http://theoatmeal.co...ics/misspelling

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Wow glad i readed this post now my englishe and grama will be lots gooderer thanks to your input.
I wish people could speak as well as i do does, i hope that this learns them.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Wow glad i readed this post now my englishe and grama will be lots gooderer thanks to your input.
I wish people could speak as well as i do does, i hope that this learns them.

:rofl:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Donna be :rofl: @ Troy as he be :rofl: @ Nutloaf

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
*sari glares at you all.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
dat was funnyer then. the jokes thred

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Thank you. @Sari Hope I did not offend I thought it needed a funny turn. My only regret is that I spelt YOUR incorrectly. We all know it should have been spelt.... YEWUH. :blush:

ban tay so

ban tay so

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thank so much, it is useful

hhb

hhb

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
To beat eggs, you need a beater.

Does that mean if you need to beat a beater, you need a beaterer?