Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing drive space

• Please log in to reply

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hey guys, I've been using vista for a while now, and last night I checked its C: drive, and noticed that i was already down past 3/4's full on the 160Gb drive. I checked all my stuff, and ended up not accounting for about 22Gb of space, which seems to be mysteriously gone/full. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I am thinking maybe a virus is messing with my system, but Vista has a really good setup, although I don't have a virus scan program setup on it at the moment.

Computer is a Dell Inspiron 6400
Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0mhz
2GB DDR2
Geforce GO 7300 256mb
etc etc.

Advertisements

njlock

njlock

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
I have a similar problem, did u ever resolve yours?

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Try opening the C:/ Drive and checking the Size of the Users File, see if it comes close to what Vista is showing as being full. That Should be all your Files. Vista By default will most likely be taking up around 18 GB of Data, 20+ with your installed applications. If it accounts then you may have some temporary files from Web sites, or files on the desktop that you may have overlooked. Other than that if it keeps getting larger you may have a virus eating your Hard drive space in hopes of crashing it.

njlock

njlock

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
In my case turns out my interney/virus program kaspersky 6.0 had a "63G!!" "report" that was choking my hard drive, Iuninstalled 6.0, which solved my problem, and freely upgraded to 7.0 version, that clearly shows size of reports, so it must have been an issue.

BTW the freetree (?) program was the only one that showed this report, otherwise it was invisable too me (well I actually did'nt go digging in every file, but it was'nt appearing as one of the large files)