Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is your problem VISTA!

• Please log in to reply

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well I've got some general insight to Vista and the overall core of the operating system functions.

1.) First off, DirectX10, only vista compliant???? Well that is certainly going against Windows policy of making everything backwards compatible?? HMMM.... Does anyone ever think DirectX10 will be available for XP? From what I've read a few months ago it seems it won't be :whistling:

2.) What makes this system so much better than what I'm currently using(windows XP Pro)?? I've used Windows Vista for about 5 months now, and I'm wondering what really makes it better than WinXP. It seems Microsoft only added a few more things to the operating system. Yes it's supposed to be more secure, but seriously, WinXP works great for me, no viruses, and if I do get a virus, **Poof** recloned and I'm running top notch again. Is DirectX10 the only reason to upgrade?

3.) Cloning -- I've dual booted my system with WinXP and Vista, cloned to my harddrive with Ghost and it worked okay, but it won't let me clone back over again without an abundance of errors. BCDedit is a total waste and is wasting my time. Has anyone found cloning software that works good for Windows Vista?

4.) PNG Image Format -- Did Windows Vista really migrate PNG images throughout the desktop core? Am I right on this? Because if I am no wonder everyone's computer runs slow with this junk....PNG picture format saves at a huge file size, but it's the only way they can do transparency, right? So I'm waiting on a system to load because the beauty is slowing me down.....

5.) Install once with CD-Key and never install again??? Well this is dumb.....I register my CD-Key once with microsoft, reinstall Vista, and try to register again, but now I have to contact Microsoft to get it all straightened out. Well I understand they do this so stupid people that don't want to buy their software cannot illegal register more than one version of Microsoft, but seriously...

6.) Other problems, Networking is much worse, and a pain to get to, I designed my own gadget for www.thecodeproject.com because of this....

Now I'm not bitter, but Windows has really disappointed me with this new operating system :blink:......where's the "WOW EFFECT" Bill Gates, because I can't find it..........
Any thoughts would be great!!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) DirectX10 is Vista exclusive. Many rumours abound that it would appear for XP. There is no truth in said rumours. However unofficially, it can be done and has been done.

2) Enhanced security, and generally in less than three years time it'll be Vista to buy or nothing. DirectX10 is just one new things.

3) This behaviour can be caused by the new security in Vista, especially on the higher end versions. Nothing really beats booting off a CD and cloning that way :whistling:

4) In Vista icons can be stored as PNG files.

5) Vista requires activation in the same fashion as XP did. If it doesn't activate online, make a telephone call. Same way as Vista, just slightly more clumsy. People said the same thing when XP first came out.

The "wow effect" is supposedly Windows Aero and the flippy 3D thing. Apparently.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
hey. i use Vista and i love it. of course, i use XP also, but whoop dee doo. i haven't had a single problem with vista, and I can play all my games on it. Steam runs amazingly.

theres a flippy 3d thing?!?!?! where?!? is it a dolphin?

>=P

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
The "wow effect" is Windows Aero and can be activated by Alt-TAB.

I knew that and I don't even have Vista.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well thanks for the info. if you didnt notice i was being sarcastic.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP

I've used Windows Vista for about 5 months now

Bobbydoo8, which version of Vista do you have?
There are many tweaks for Vista ...some are very good...others need to be avoided like the plague!

I've had Vista Business on my laptop for 7 months now. I love it, but I also know that I'm limited in what I am able to do with it. I wouldn't and couldn't expect my version to do the same as Vista Ultimate. They just simply aren't the OS.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
im running vista ultimate, and it runs great. the only prob i've had is a color issue with windows photo gallery, but it was easily resolved. it is a little bit laggier when it starts up then XP, but in 2 years, it'll surpass xp. its having a slow start, as all OS usually have.