Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can CleanUp work with Vista?

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I just upgraded from a Gateway Windows 98 to a Gateway Vista. I am taking it very slowly as to what I download. I downloaded CleanUp 4.5.2, then read it only is good until Windows XP. Should I take it off my computer? I used it every day with W. 98. I also need to download Ad-Aware, AVG, and SpyBot but want to do AVG first. We may be getting WildBlue broadband tomorrow, so I will wait until then. I tried to make a shortcut for CleanUp, to put it on the desktop but could not figure that one out either. As I did not see CleanUp is for Vista, this may be a moot point.

Nancy

Advertisements

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
tofu5, I used to use CleanUp on my computer, but now I use ATFCleaner. the site can be found here and the download page can be found here. I've been using ATF Cleaner on both my XP and my Vista-run computer now.

Instructions. (Towards the top)

Edited by Matt L., 11 August 2007 - 02:00 PM.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Okeydoke. Should I remove CleanUp from my computer? If so, by going in Add/Remove? We may be getting broadband tomorrow, which gives us anti-virus for the next year or so. I was thinking of installing avg free, adaware, and spybot. Does that sound o.k. for a limited internet user? I also never open attachments form anyone(having a windows98 which was ready to crash at any given moment made me very conservative, computer-wise).

N

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Those programs are all fine. However, if you want the most secure way possible, I suggest downloading and doing everything listed here.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
O.K. Per Geeks instructions, I removed CleanUp and now have ATF Cleaner installed. I also have the latest AVG with updates. I also loaded Super AntiSpyware. I did one scan, it took 45 minutes or so. Then I remembered that Geeks advised to change the settings in this so I did another scan. After one and onehalf hours, I finally had to cancel the scan. Is something wrong there? I was up to 100,000 File items scanned, not near as many were scanned the first time.

Nancy

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Superantispyware does do a very deep and thorough scan. On my system with 28Gb of files it takes about 55 minutes or so, if you have more files or multiple partitions it will take longer. So it would only require a deep scan every few months

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
As I just got this computer last Friday, and do not do pictures, or music, or videos, I doubt I hahe that many files. Just wanted to verify that something was not wrong with all this. I was surprised that I had to change the settings from Recommended in SuperAntiSpyware but as I am a firm believer in the Geeks, I changed them.
By the way, as I am on dial-up, which is very slow, I play FreeCell while I am waiting for a page to load. I cannot figure out out how to make a desktop/shortcut. How is this accompliohed?

Thanks so much,

Nancy

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
By the way, I mentioned we would be getting broadband yesterday. The installer never showed up and never called. This was from Dish Network. Boy oh boy, still at very very slow speed.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I just re-read Geeks You Must Read This et al, and I tried to do the Panda scan, this does not work with Vista. And I cannot find the url for SpyBot, assuming this is what you recommend. Does the SuperAntiSpyware work all the time or just when you do a scan? I plan on using ATF every day, using and updating AVG, and would like a SPyware in lace. Thanks.

Nancy

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Spyware in place, sorry.

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Superantispyware does do a very deep and thorough scan. On my system with 28Gb of files it takes about 55 minutes or so, if you have more files or multiple partitions it will take longer. So it would only require a deep scan every few months

It takes me more than 10 hours to scan.

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I just re-read Geeks You Must Read This et al, and I tried to do the Panda scan, this does not work with Vista. And I cannot find the url for SpyBot, assuming this is what you recommend. Does the SuperAntiSpyware work all the time or just when you do a scan? I plan on using ATF every day, using and updating AVG, and would like a SPyware in lace. Thanks.

Nancy

Use spyware blaster. It's really good.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Unfortunately there are a few online scans that do not work with Vista but I am sure that will change as the user base gets larger.

I second spywareblaster I forgot I had that one

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Re: ATF Cleaner. I used CleanUp for the past year, I just clicked the box and it deleted lots. Now I am using ATF, it always asks me which items I wanted Deleted(I Select All). Is there any way I can program it not not ask me every time what items I want Deleted?

Nncy