Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time building a computer

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well the 8600s are not worth it. Yeah they have DirectX 10 but they don't have the juice to play them. So basically they are overpriced DirectX 9 cards even though they are DirectX 10.
Here: http://www23.tomshar...0...4&chart=318

As you can see on the chart the 8600 just does not compare. They are meant for video playback and stuff and not gaming. Here:
http://www.tomshardw...8600/page9.html

I know it seems hard and other cards seem enticing with their low cost but in the long run you are better off with the 8800GTS 320MB. In fact they say the best card for the money (cost over FPS, Frames Per Second) is in fact the 8800GTX, but that is a crap load of money.

PS: your rig is starting to look awesome.

Edited by jackflash1991, 19 August 2007 - 10:34 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright that system is looking pretty good so far, are you intending on overclocking any? If not, then if you can afford it, I suggest you grab a slightly faster processor, at least one with a 4MB cache and a higher FSB - one like the E6320.

I also wanted to point out that running SLI will not double the performance, as well as the power requirements for your PSU can be markedly higher. Here is a quote from the Wikipedia SLI page:

SLI doesn't always give a performance benefit — in some extreme cases, it can lower the framerate due to the particulars of an application's coding

Like I said before, the price/performance ratio is just far too expensive to justify the price. You would be better off buying a single 8800GTS 320MB now, and in two years time when you find it isn't enough, you could sell that card and upgrade it to a better one.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

SLI doesn't always give a performance benefit

If your playing an old game. Most of the new games support SLI and I am pretty sure that all new DirectX 10 games will support it because of the massive requirements. Also SLI has become so popular now that it would be crazy not to support it in a new game from the loss in players.

But I guess if you do buy a good quality card you will not need SLI. I kinda like to think ahead just to be ready for some game that needs more juice. But maybe you are right Ruthandtroy.

So I guess ether way is good with a good card.

Edited by jackflash1991, 19 August 2007 - 11:18 PM.

bwiz

bwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hmmm, i see what you guys mean about the 8600 vs 8800, i just wish it wasent double the price :whistling: is there any news about price drops for them? because i completely hear what you guys are saying, and even though this is getting alot pricier than i wanted it to, compared to my original build ive got a way better computer that should last me a long time. as for overclocking im not going to at first as ive never done it before, but i do want to learn about it and do it properly in the future. ive gotta go do some calculations :blink:

edit: also, if i go with the 8800 i doubt ill bother with sli, should i just stick with my original motherboard?

Edited by bwiz, 21 August 2007 - 08:31 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well yes if you really think about it, which I wasn't really doing, the card is pretty good and it could probably last you until the next DirectX 11 and you could probably just replace the card. This card, to think about it, will last you a while. So I guess I would consider getting a single PCI-E slot and not SLI. So just take a look around for some boards and for some reviews for them.

Edited by jackflash1991, 21 August 2007 - 11:45 AM.

bwiz

bwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i think im just going to stick with my original motherboard choice, no sli because of the 8800. you guys see any problem with it? so far im up to $1038~ canadian for the whole system, i dont wanna go any higher :whistling:.

mobo:http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011028&cid=MB.157

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.canadacom...d...&cid=MB.157

Use this motherboard, it is the same price but is the latest chipset - P35. The P965 you have suggested in post #21 will work fine but it is the last generation.

bwiz

bwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
awesome thanks alot both of you guys :whistling:

i think im set for what im going to get, thanks again for all your help, i couldent have done it alone!!

brent