Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows has closed 'explorer.exe'

• Please log in to reply

D2k

D2k

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Guys, for the past couple of days, whenever I go to turn off my computer.. I get this message http://img512.images...2/97/capmc9.jpg

explorer.exe then closes, meaning my whole desktop goes off.. i get a box saying 'windows explorer has encounted a problem and needs to close'.. it then comes back and then I can turn off my PC successfully.

After seeing this I did a Virus scan and Spyware scan as well as run CCleaner.. it found no threats at all but nothing changed. I then did a System Restore to the 13th August.. it cured the problem for a while but it soon came back when Windows installed 9 updates to my Computer.

If I keep repeating the process, it seems that the problem keeps coming back when I install the windows updates

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi D2k...

Remove those 9 updates one at a time, running the machine long enough to see if the problem persists between removals. When you remove the bad one, the problem will cease...make note of what the last one is and hide it from Auto Updates so it isn't installed again. If you find the update that's causing the problem, please post it (by number) here for us.

wannabe1