Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq PC Won't Start

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well with what you have done it sounds as if the psu is good so open the case and turn it on, does the cpu fan spin up?

Are there any lights from the drives and keyboard turning on?

If not follow the wirers from the case switch back to the mobo remove them, touch the 2 pins they were connected to with a screw driver this should turn the computer on if it does the the case switch is bad.

If the cpu fan spins and drives light up then I would try a video card if you can barrow one.

Rick

Advertisements

JoeyM

JoeyM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope, the fan is not spinning. There are no lights, except on the motherboard there is a yellow light (quite near the battery), and the ligth behind the on button is also on.

The cables from the case switch goes to a small circuit at the front of the case (where there are two USB outlets and one for the headphones). The multimeter shows 2.29V on the pins that the case switch is connected to. I guess it's comming from the battery on the mobo.

I connected the red and black pin (on the minor circuit) with a screw driver but nothing happens. From the minor circuit I suspect that the current wire, going to the mobo, is the one that looks like:

|o| black
|o| black
|o| light reddish
|o| red
|o| yellow
|o|
|o|
|o|
|o|
|o| brown

but I can't get any rading from them with the multimeter. I managed to establish that those wires are not "broken".

jm

TwiztidNinja

TwiztidNinja

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
didnt bother reading all the replys make sure the cideo card is properly seated clear cmos and make sure the monitor even fuction s buy pluging it in to anouther comuter

JoeyM

JoeyM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I tried resetting the PSWD jumper and it looks like the video card is ok. Nothing seem to work ;(.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

The cables from the case switch goes to a small circuit at the front of the case (where there are two USB outlets and one for the headphones). The multimeter shows 2.29V on the pins that the case switch is connected to. I guess it's comming from the battery on the mobo.

I connected the red and black pin (on the minor circuit) with a screw driver but nothing happens. From the minor circuit I suspect that the current wire, going to the mobo, is the one that looks like:

View Post

The voltage reading you detected won't be from the battery. The pins you need are actually on the mobo itself, not on a seperate small PCB. If you trace the wires back to the mobo, you should find the soft power pins.

JoeyM

JoeyM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Samm,

if I trace the wire back to the mobo, there is a "plug" with multiple wires (as I described earlier). Should I connect the red + black, or the yellow + black, or am I looking at the wrong place. Should there only be two wires?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I think we could do with a summary of where you are at exactly.
Can you confirm whether you have tried another video card or not? Also, does the board have integrated video or just agp/pci addon video card?

As for the power switch connector - I was forgetting this is a compaq - my apologies - you are right, they often use a single block connector instead of individual ones.
The power switch connector will be 2 wire/pin. Usually one of these is black or white, the other will be coloured. Just work along the row of bare pins with the screw driver, bridging each pair of pins briefly with the blade. ie pin 1+2, then 2+3 etc. Working out which ones normally connect to a black wire, will help to narrow this down a bit.

Easiest way though, is to remove the front of the case, so you see clearly, locate the power switch & see what colour the 2 wires are. If they are red & black for example, then only try the 2 neighbouring pins which normally connect to black & red wires.

JoeyM

JoeyM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope, I haven't tried another video card, and the reason lies in the answer to your second question :tazz:. It's integrated, so it looks quite tricky.

No it's not a compaq. I just picked up this thread since I have exactly the same problem as the person having the compaq, so I didn't want to start the same discussion in a new thread. I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 P4. Does this change the power switch info you gave?

Ok, I'll have a go at removing the case and checking the power switch, to get a glace at the colour of the wires.

Thanks a lot, I'll get back with info (or questions ;) )

greenkite

greenkite

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the same problem. When I turn on my computer there's nothing. The fan is "buzzzzing" too. I can't hear "beep" so I guess it not ram, harddrive, cpu problem. Some time it can boot but in few second it turn off. I don't know why? PSU or drive card?

Edited by greenkite, 18 June 2005 - 11:17 PM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Some time it can boot but in few second it turn off. I don't know why? PSU or drive card?

Sporadic boot-up times and abrupt hard shut downs! Sounds like the characteristics of a CPU getting too hot. In your troubleshooting, try to cool down the CPU along the way.

Advertisements

greenkite

greenkite

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Sporadic boot-up times and abrupt hard shut downs!  Sounds like the characteristics of a CPU getting too hot.  In your troubleshooting, try to cool down the CPU along the way.

View Post

I know that. But it is not problem. If my CPU too hot it'll be restarted but in few minutes. I think I have the same problem in this topic. Someone can fix? Please tell me how? :tazz: ;)

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Can you get any readings through the lead or switch with your multimeter? just wondering, there may be a loose wire somewhere, hmm, is the computer under warranty? coz I'd be contacting the manufacturer.

JoeyM

JoeyM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Samm and all,

I removed the front case to check the wires connected to the power switch, and I couldn't make s**t out of it. The power button is on an even smaller PCB than the one before, and there's a 15 pin fat wire leading from it to the other small PCB (on the inside of the case). So, so much for determinig the wires and colour.

But from the other PCB (i.e inside the case) there's a fat USB wire leading to the motherboard, so this one I souldn't care about I guess. Then there's a black and red wire (on the PCB) leading to the case switch.

Finally there's the black wire with 5 wires inside it, leading to the motherboard, and I guess this is the one I should mess with. Though, it doesn't seem possible to do it the way you suggested, i.e with a screwdriver, since the two black wires are at one end of the "socket" and next to them there are red, red and yellow. Then 4 empty slots and last a brown wire. All the 10 wires/pins are aligned in a straight line. I guess I could just use a wire and connect the black and red, and work my way "up" (black+yellow, and black+brown).

Cheers

greenkite

greenkite

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've fixed it. Not PSU or video card. It's the CPU fan in my case. If anybody have same problem please try to change CPU fan. :tazz:

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

If my CPU too hot it'll be restarted but in few minutes

My friend's CPU was overheating and sometimes it would only last several seconds before shutting down.

Glad to hear that you got it working, though. Let the good times roll! :tazz: